Old 01-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Cat

Default Rhetoric lawn question

With the popularity of instant garden makeover shows, it seems the
popularity of turf in rolls has grown too.
I am just wondering - except for the obvious (immediate visual impact, no
waiting), what are the advantages?
I assume it is quite a bit costlier than seeding a lawn?
What say the experts here?
The question is rhetorical, because my lawn was laid by seeding 3 months
ago, and it is only gorgeous!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 01-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Rod

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:52:41 +0100, "Cat"
wrote:

With the popularity of instant garden makeover shows, it seems the
popularity of turf in rolls has grown too.
I am just wondering - except for the obvious (immediate visual impact, no
waiting), what are the advantages?
I assume it is quite a bit costlier than seeding a lawn?
What say the experts here?
The question is rhetorical, because my lawn was laid by seeding 3 months
ago, and it is only gorgeous!

Yes, it's more expensive.
It's harder work unless it's mechanised (only suitable for large scale
works)
You don't get to choose the grasses unless you buy top quality turf.
You still have to prepare a decent 'seedbed' for it.
As you've seen if you look after your seeded lawn properly it
establishes almost as quickly as turf.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
With the popularity of instant garden makeover shows, it seems the
popularity of turf in rolls has grown too.
I am just wondering - except for the obvious (immediate visual impact, no
waiting), what are the advantages?
I assume it is quite a bit costlier than seeding a lawn?
What say the experts here?
The question is rhetorical, because my lawn was laid by seeding 3 months
ago, and it is only gorgeous!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Hello Cat, I would say that the advantage is just as you suggest - an immediate impact, and immediate lawn. But certainly no superior than properly chosen seed for the purpose the turf is to be used for, backed up by good preparation prior to sowing. In the end which ever way you go it is down to long term turf management.

I recall many years ago when I lived in Cumbria some gardeners would buy the 'superior' sea-washed turf. Of course, any shipped inland would not be superior for long - right turf in the wrong place.