Old 01-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Datura seed.

Sue bought a white Datura (not a Brugmansia) this year and I've allowed it
to set seed which it has in abundance.
Any tips on growing these from seed?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Oxymel of Squill

no, but there was a fashion for chewing them at one time. One happy chappie
was discovered trying to roll up the white line in the middle of a road and
take it home.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Martin Sykes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Sue bought a white Datura (not a Brugmansia) this year and I've allowed it
to set seed which it has in abundance.
Any tips on growing these from seed?

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Just plant them like any other seed with a light covering of soil. I did and
got a very good germination rate. They weren't difficult.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 01-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
Sue bought a white Datura (not a Brugmansia) this year and I've allowed it
to set seed which it has in abundance.
Any tips on growing these from seed?

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London
Hello Bob, my way with Datura stramonium has been to sow in early spring in a multpurpose compost and covered with a thin layer of vermiculite or fine grit. They were then placed in a close case at a temp of 16-18C and kept moist. Eventually brought out to to open staging, potted on as required and grown on for patio container display from mid May.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:35 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Plantsman" wrote in message

Bob Hobden Wrote:
Sue bought a white Datura (not a Brugmansia) this year and I've allowed
it
to set seed which it has in abundance.
Any tips on growing these from seed?

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Hello Bob, my way with Datura stramonium has been to sow in early
spring in a multpurpose compost and covered with a thin layer of
vermiculite or fine grit. They were then placed in a close case at a
temp of 16-18C and kept moist. Eventually brought out to to open
staging, potted on as required and grown on for patio container display
from mid May.

I have some growing here. Dunno where it came from as I never planted it. I
keep pulling it up but it comes up every year and is spreading over my
garden. Any tips on how to kill the blooming things?

Old 02-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Bob Hobden

"Plantsman" wrote after I wrote:
Sue bought a white Datura (not a Brugmansia) this year and I've allowed
it
to set seed which it has in abundance.
Any tips on growing these from seed?

Hello Bob, my way with Datura stramonium has been to sow in early
spring in a multpurpose compost and covered with a thin layer of
vermiculite or fine grit. They were then placed in a close case at a
temp of 16-18C and kept moist. Eventually brought out to to open
staging, potted on as required and grown on for patio container display
from mid May.

Thanks to everyone that replied, sounds like they will be an ideal candidate
for filling in those summer gaps between the perennials.

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 10-08-2007 12:36 AM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 01:32 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 09:32 AM
Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above? will Texas 0 07-02-2003 06:16 AM
What to do with my Datura? Andy United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 03:52 PM