Old 05-10-2004, 12:43 AM
anton

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Hi,

How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut conifer,
from my hands? The only effective cleaner I have found
is methylated spirit, but I suffer from dry skin already,
so that is not ideal.

Have you tried surgical spirit, ordinary petrol or lighter fuel?

Please don't suggest that anyone put petrol on their hands- it contains
benzene, for instance, which is really not nice.

--
Anton

Old 05-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Neil Tonks

I second that - both petrol and lighter fuel give off lots of explosive
vapour which can easily ignite.

Swarfega hand cleaner (sold in DIY stores and car accessory shops) ahould
shift it, though you'll have to work it into your hands really well to get
the last traces off.

Neil,

Old 05-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Franz Heymann

"anton" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Hi,

How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut conifer,
from my hands? The only effective cleaner I have found
is methylated spirit, but I suffer from dry skin already,
so that is not ideal.

Have you tried surgical spirit, ordinary petrol or lighter fuel?

Please don't suggest that anyone put petrol on their hands- it

contains
benzene, for instance, which is really not nice.

I days of old, when I designed and used vacuum systems, we often used
benzene to clean mechanical components and, occasionally, our hands.
My hands did not suffer any ill.

Franz

Old 05-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Franz Heymann

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message
I second that - both petrol and lighter fuel give off lots of

explosive
vapour which can easily ignite.

Swarfega hand cleaner (sold in DIY stores and car accessory shops)

ahould
shift it, though you'll have to work it into your hands really well

to get
the last traces off.

Swarfega contains paraffin, and is designed essentially to clean
greasy hands. I have never tried it on resin. {:-))

Franz

Old 05-10-2004, 12:07 PM

Neil Tonks wrote:
I second that - both petrol and lighter fuel give off lots of explosive
vapour which can easily ignite.

Swarfega hand cleaner (sold in DIY stores and car accessory shops) ahould
shift it, though you'll have to work it into your hands really well to get
the last traces off.

It's not very good at removing it in my experience, you'll get it off
just as easily using soap and a scrubbing brush. It's one of the few
things in my experience that Swarfega really doesn't help with.

I now try and remember to wear gloves when working with our (chopped
up) Leylandii. I don't wear gloves for much else but that brown goo
is a real pain.

--
Chris Green

Old 05-10-2004, 12:10 PM

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:37:27 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message
I second that - both petrol and lighter fuel give off lots of

explosive
vapour which can easily ignite.

Swarfega hand cleaner (sold in DIY stores and car accessory shops)

ahould
shift it, though you'll have to work it into your hands really well

to get
the last traces off.

Swarfega contains paraffin, and is designed essentially to clean
greasy hands. I have never tried it on resin. {:-))

We've tried a lot of things to remove unset epoxy resins. The best and
cheapest is meths. I guess anything else with sufficient alcohol in it
would work too.

I don't think epoxy resin has any relation to resin from trees (except
that it's gooey and is spelt the same).

Paint thinner (i.e. that used for car finishes, not white spirit or
turps substitute) is the best solvent for epoxy resin such as araldite
if it's not fully set.

--
Chris Green
Old 05-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Franz Heymann

news
wrote:

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message
I second that - both petrol and lighter fuel give off lots of

explosive
vapour which can easily ignite.

Swarfega hand cleaner (sold in DIY stores and car accessory

shops)
ahould
shift it, though you'll have to work it into your hands really

well
to get
the last traces off.

Swarfega contains paraffin, and is designed essentially to clean
greasy hands. I have never tried it on resin. {:-))

We've tried a lot of things to remove unset epoxy resins. The best

and
cheapest is meths. I guess anything else with sufficient alcohol in

it
would work too.

Propyl alcohol is particularly good for unset epoxy resins. It is, I
think, sold by chemists as surgical spirit. I have not tried it on
natural resins yet.

Franz

Old 05-10-2004, 07:24 PM
kateh

"David Pearson" wrote ...
Hi,
How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut conifer,
from my hands? The only effective cleaner I have found
is methylated spirit, but I suffer from dry skin already,
so that is not ideal.

We've always used olive oil to disolve pine resin and beach tar.
I imagine any cooking or bath oil would work, though.
Kate(and then soap/water to clean up)H

Old 05-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

"anton" wrote in message

Please don't suggest that anyone put petrol on their hands- it

contains
benzene, for instance, which is really not nice.

I days of old, when I designed and used vacuum systems, we often

used
benzene to clean mechanical components and, occasionally, our

hands.
My hands did not suffer any ill.

Benzene is carcinogenic, especially via occupational exposure.

In that case, either its potency is quite low, or I am lucky.

Franz

Old 06-10-2004, 12:58 AM
anton

"anton" wrote in message

Please don't suggest that anyone put petrol on their hands- it
contains
benzene, for instance, which is really not nice.

I days of old, when I designed and used vacuum systems, we often

used
benzene to clean mechanical components and, occasionally, our

hands.
My hands did not suffer any ill.

Benzene is carcinogenic, especially via occupational exposure.

In that case, either its potency is quite low, or I am lucky.

Maybe, but a score of 0 so far out of 1 is not a terrific way of assessing
the risks of cancer or dermatitis. For both reasons it's not to be
recommended for hand-washing.
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/BE/benzene.html

I find turps on a rag to be pretty good for conifer resin, but I hesitated
before recommending it:
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/WH/white_spirits.html

have fun
--
Anton

Old 06-10-2004, 04:13 AM
digger doug

Well it's settled then use gin it should not change the taste ---digger

Old 06-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Franz Heymann

"anton" wrote in message

Please don't suggest that anyone put petrol on their hands-

it
contains
benzene, for instance, which is really not nice.

I days of old, when I designed and used vacuum systems, we

often
used
benzene to clean mechanical components and, occasionally, our

hands.
My hands did not suffer any ill.

Benzene is carcinogenic, especially via occupational exposure.

In that case, either its potency is quite low, or I am lucky.

Maybe, but a score of 0 so far out of 1 is not a terrific way of

assessing
the risks of cancer or dermatitis.

I was not the sole inhabitant of the four laboratories in which I
worked at various times.
Incidentally, we used ether for really finicky clean-up jobs.
To clean excessively greasy objects, including our hands, the powers
that be provided a big, deep horse trough filled with warmed
trichlorethylene. To clean your hands, you just held them in the
trike vapour which condensed on the object or your hands, dissolved
the grease and rained back into the vat.

For both reasons it's not to be
recommended for hand-washing.
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/BE/benzene.html

I find turps on a rag to be pretty good for conifer resin, but I

hesitated
before recommending it:
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/WH/white_spirits.html

I presume you have not heard that turpentine is carcinogenic. {:-))

Franz

Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
David Hill

"........Well it's settled then use gin it should not change the
aste ---digger ....."

No Gin has no great taste.............If you use Retsina then there will be
no change of taste

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
"........Well it's settled then use gin it should not change the
aste ---digger ....."

No Gin has no great taste.....

Juniper berries.

.........If you use Retsina then there will be
no change of taste

Resin.

Franz

Old 08-10-2004, 07:24 PM
anton

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Propyl alcohol is particularly good for unset epoxy resins. It is, I
think, sold by chemists as surgical spirit. I have not tried it on
natural resins yet.

Surgical spirit is mainly ethanol, not propanol. The really good safe stuff
for getting resins, (including, i should imagine, conifer resin), off hands
is Loctite 7855 hand cleaner, but I don't know whether it's available in
retail outlets.

--
Anton

JEWS KILLED JEWS, NAZIS KEPT THEIR HANDS CLEAN Venceremos Ponds 0 21-09-2007 01:38 PM
Bulk DI Resin Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 03:45 PM
Resin/fibre glass sinks Misty United Kingdom 0 09-06-2004 06:40 PM
Resin/fibre glass sinks Misty United Kingdom 0 09-06-2004 05:52 PM
Resin/fibre glass sinks Misty United Kingdom 0 09-06-2004 04:55 PM