Old 02-10-2004, 07:28 PM
David Pearson

Default How to clean conifer resin from hands?

Hi,

How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut conifer,
from my hands? The only effective cleaner I have found
is methylated spirit, but I suffer from dry skin already,
so that is not ideal.

Thanks,
David Pearson
(sticky in Somerset)

Old 02-10-2004, 09:47 PM
David Hill

David Pearson asked ".......How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut
conifer, from my hands? ...."

Have you tried turps?
Otherwise paraffin, but what ever you use wash your hands with soap
...detergent will dry your hands more.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Hi,

How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut conifer,
from my hands? The only effective cleaner I have found
is methylated spirit, but I suffer from dry skin already,
so that is not ideal.

Have you tried surgical spirit, ordinary petrol or lighter fuel?

Franz

Old 03-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Peter Crosland

Neat Fairy Liquid worked for me. Also in Somerset!

Peter Crosland

Old 03-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Don Coyote274640

Whisky or vodka (any spirit, I'd imagine, would do the trick). Or Try nail
polish remover! That seems to shift damn near everything.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Franz Heymann

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Hi,

How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut conifer,
from my hands? The only effective cleaner I have found
is methylated spirit, but I suffer from dry skin already,
so that is not ideal.

If you have not yet managed to clean your hands since you dirtied them
on Friday, you will by now have resin on most of your furniture and
cutlery.
{:-))

Franz

Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Mike

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Neat Fairy Liquid worked for me. Also in Somerset!

Peter Crosland

As long as your hands are not allergic to it, neat Fairy Liquid rubbed into
the hands before doing a dirty job works a treat. Sticky to start with but
rub well in.

No need for soap when you do wash your hands, just hot water and your hands
foam :-))

Mike

Old 03-10-2004, 10:45 AM
David Hill

Don Coyote wrote "Whisky or vodka (any spirit, I'd imagine, would do the
trick). "

But wont the resin spoil the taste?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
Don Coyote wrote "Whisky or vodka (any spirit, I'd imagine, would do the
trick). "

But wont the resin spoil the taste?

There was a pine-flavoured vodka sold some years back - and some people
like retsina.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

The message
from "David Pearson" contains these words:

Hi,

How do I clean the sticky resin from a cut conifer,
from my hands? The only effective cleaner I have found
is methylated spirit, but I suffer from dry skin already,
so that is not ideal.

I recommend Beeline Professional Painters Hand Cleanser, available by
post from Screwfix whose excellent catalogue you can find on the web. It
cleans just about anything from your hands but is completely gentle on
the skin.

There's another product you might like called something like
"invisible glove", available from Lakeland Plastics iirc..it's a
greaseless protective lotion cleanser you rub on your hands before
starting messy jobs. I've tried both and prefer the Beeline stuff.

Janet.

Do either of these work with the general ingrained garden grime and
vegetable dye which puts itself into the many crevices of dry neglected
skin? Every Sunday evening I attempt to get my hands ready for
re-entering mainstream respectable society, but each week fail
spectacularly. I've tried soaking in neat bleach, but my sons have made
me promise not to do that any more!
Janet G

Old 03-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Mike

Janet as long as your skin is not alergic to neat Fairy Liquid, try rubbing
plenty in before you start work. I discovered this by accident. We used
Fairy Liquid as a harmless lubricant when threading and pulling PVC cables
through rubber watertight glands whilst building Lifeboats. Of course our
hands were covered with the stuff and it made them easier to wash, but I
carried on using it by rubbing it into my hands even on other normal work
:-))

Mike

Old 03-10-2004, 06:22 PM
David Pearson

Thanks everyone, for all these ideas. I will try some
of the less chemically aggressive methods. If I put
petrol or bleach on my hands, they will disintegrate!

Or I could just wear gloves in the garden, I suppose
(just thought of that one....).

Regards,
David Pearson

Old 03-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
Don Coyote wrote "Whisky or vodka (any spirit, I'd imagine,

would do the
trick). "

But wont the resin spoil the taste?

Yes. Just think of retsina.

Franz

Old 03-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Pearson" wrote in message

Thanks everyone, for all these ideas. I will try some
of the less chemically aggressive methods. If I put
petrol or bleach on my hands, they will disintegrate!

Or I could just wear gloves in the garden, I suppose
(just thought of that one....).

Remember not to put your hands into those gloves until you are sure
they no longer have any resin on them.
:{-))

Franz

Regards,
David Pearson

Old 04-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Janet Galpin

[...]

Try the "invisible glove" stuff, or Dermaguard.

I am a sad person. All I have ingrained is the habit of rubbing on
high-factor sun cream,plus Avon skin-so-soft as midge repellent, plus
some Nivea hand cream on the hands, before setting out into the garden
(or anywhere, really)..so my hand skin is generally well lubricated. I
wear gloves (various kinds) for digging, weeding, pruning etc) to avoid
getting injuries/rough skin/ingrained dirt on my hands. Reflexology
clients don't appreciate them. Last thing before bed, more handcream.
Also, we still wash up dishes by hand :-) My nails are cut short anyway.

I just use Beeline to get rid of glue, varnish, paint etc.

Janet

Thanks for this.
The feel of the soil is part of my pleasure in gardening and I have some
kind of perverse delight in getting disgustingly dirty - until Sunday
evening! So I've never taken to the idea of gloves, except leather
gauntlets for tough painful jobs.
I really must use more handcream. School students don't appreciate dirty
hands either.
Janet G

JEWS KILLED JEWS, NAZIS KEPT THEIR HANDS CLEAN Venceremos Ponds 0 21-09-2007 01:38 PM
Bulk DI Resin Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 03:45 PM
Resin/fibre glass sinks Misty United Kingdom 0 09-06-2004 06:40 PM
Resin/fibre glass sinks Misty United Kingdom 0 09-06-2004 05:52 PM
Resin/fibre glass sinks Misty United Kingdom 0 09-06-2004 04:55 PM