Old 03-10-2004, 11:42 PM
alan holmes

Default DBX files, how do you view them?

In attemptng to preserve some of my files during a breakdown I used a backup
programme which produced some files labeled .dbx.

For some inexplicable reason I am unable to restore them to the original
places, but it would be helpful if I could see what is in them and perhaps
get them ito a folder where I can see them and work on them.

And, how can I get the spell checker to work?

I'm using win xp home, if it makes a difference.

Please keep it simple as the senile decay is quite advanced!

TIA

Alan

Old 04-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Phil L

alan holmes wrote:
:: In attemptng to preserve some of my files during a breakdown I
:: used a backup programme which produced some files labeled .dbx.
::
These are used by outlook express..inbox .dbx uk.rec.gardening .dbx etc
etc...they are to let OE know which messages you have read and which are
highlighted etc.

:: For some inexplicable reason I am unable to restore them to the
:: original places, but it would be helpful if I could see what is in
:: them and perhaps get them ito a folder where I can see them and
:: work on them.

you can view them as text but they are a garbled mess...there is a free
trial here of a mail repair programme, for OE6
http://mail-repair.com/
this will allow you to reinstall your .dbx files
::
:: And, how can I get the spell checker to work?

AFAIK it's part of M$ office, mine doesn't werk since uninstalling office
:-p
::

Old 04-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered User

:: For some inexplicable reason I am unable to restore them to the
:: original places, but it would be helpful if I could see what is in
:: them and perhaps get them ito a folder where I can see them and
:: work on them.

I did restore mine to my Outlook Express folder once. I'm a bit vague how I managed it but I think I went to File/Import then imported them from Outlook Express store and browsed to the CD-R.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Registered User

I heard about not bad application-.dbx repair, you can use it to undelete accidentally deleted messages, move recovered correspondence to another computer or to another mail client supporting the eml message format. The tool supports files of the .dbx format for Outlook Express versions 5, 5.5 and 6, repair dbx files of Outlook Express in the batch mode, recovers information from *.dbx files up to 4GB in size, repair corrupted *.dbx files of Outlook Express greater than 2 GB in size, the dbx repair tool recovers attached files, the dbx repair tool verifies recovered messages before displaying them for the user.