Old 04-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Cat

Default Rats in compost.. what can I do?

Gasp!
I was turning my compost bin over the week end, and four rats ran out of
it...
I was warned not to put any cooked or meat based organic stuff in the bin,
and have been careful not to.
The following is what goes in:
Grass clippings (possibly a little too much, as it is a bit wet and yukky at
the moment)
Shredded paper (newspaper and other, but not glossy paper)
Kitchen waste (veg peelings, stale bread, and such)
Shrub/tree clippings
Weeds
Is some of what I am putting in at fault? Is the fact that my compost is
too wet part of the problem? I have added shredded newspaper this w/e to
try and mop up the wet.
Fortunately, my box is at the very end of the garden, and therefore not near
the house - so no danger of rats moving in. Still, I would like to do
something about it, but am a bit at a loss...
I should say that the land beyond our back boundary - against which the
composter backs - is wasteland which may well have its own rat population,
although I am only surmising this.
So not only do I need to get rid of the current inhabitants of my bin but
I'd need to make sure I am not attracting any more.
I did turn the compost reasonably thoroughly this w/e, so that the grassy
goo is more homogeneously spread - perhaps rats are not keen on a gooey
home?
I really do not know what to do... help!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 04-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:47:29 +0100, "Cat"
wrote:

Gasp!
I was turning my compost bin over the week end, and four rats ran out of
it...

I would say contact your local council. They may be keen to help you
get rid of the rats. You saw 4. There may be more.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Cat" writes:
| Gasp!
| I was turning my compost bin over the week end, and four rats ran out of
| it...
| I was warned not to put any cooked or meat based organic stuff in the bin,
| and have been careful not to.

That is an old wife's tale. It makes no difference whatsoever.

| Is some of what I am putting in at fault? Is the fact that my compost is
| too wet part of the problem? I have added shredded newspaper this w/e to
| try and mop up the wet.

No.

| Fortunately, my box is at the very end of the garden, and therefore not near
| the house - so no danger of rats moving in. Still, I would like to do
| something about it, but am a bit at a loss...

Turn the heap over or get the rat man in.

| I should say that the land beyond our back boundary - against which the
| composter backs - is wasteland which may well have its own rat population,
| although I am only surmising this.

That is the reason. As crops are harvested and winter sets in, they
move into compost heaps in search of warmth and food.

| So not only do I need to get rid of the current inhabitants of my bin but
| I'd need to make sure I am not attracting any more.

There is nothing, precisely nothing, that you can do to ensure that.
They are attracted by the warmth and the worms, both of which are
essential aspects of a compost heap.

| I did turn the compost reasonably thoroughly this w/e, so that the grassy
| goo is more homogeneously spread - perhaps rats are not keen on a gooey
| home?

They will go once disturbed, anyway. Temporarily.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

They will go once disturbed, anyway. Temporarily.

Rats are pretty common. There's a saying that you're never more than
60ft from a rat. Or 20ft. Or something.

Call the council rat catcher, or buy some rat traps. But don't over-
react or feel that you are a public health nuisance - just relax. Rats
happen.
--
Kay

Old 04-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:
| In article , Nick Maclaren
| writes
|
| They will go once disturbed, anyway. Temporarily.
|
| Rats are pretty common. There's a saying that you're never more than
| 60ft from a rat. Or 20ft. Or something.

Yes. I think the accurate one says that 99% of the population
is within XXX feet of a rat at any one time. I don't believe
that people swimming 100x offshore are likely to have their toes
nibbled by a passing rat, somehow.

| Call the council rat catcher, or buy some rat traps. But don't over-
| react or feel that you are a public health nuisance - just relax. Rats
| happen.

Equally well, don't treat them as just large mice and ignore them.
They are a significant health hazard, though NOT enough of one to
go into panic mode.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Cat

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Kay writes:
| In article , Nick Maclaren
| writes
|
| They will go once disturbed, anyway. Temporarily.
|
| Rats are pretty common. There's a saying that you're never more than
| 60ft from a rat. Or 20ft. Or something.

Yes. I think the accurate one says that 99% of the population
is within XXX feet of a rat at any one time. I don't believe
that people swimming 100x offshore are likely to have their toes
nibbled by a passing rat, somehow.

| Call the council rat catcher, or buy some rat traps. But don't over-
| react or feel that you are a public health nuisance - just relax. Rats
| happen.

Equally well, don't treat them as just large mice and ignore them.
They are a significant health hazard, though NOT enough of one to
go into panic mode.

I am not too sure local authorities in Ireland have rat exterminators ready
to pounce at the citizens' request... though of course I might be wrong.
I propose to put rat traps - not poisoned ones, as I wish no harm on the
neighbours' cats - more the larger versions of what you get for mice. I'll
have to check next w/e if my disturbing the heap has actually got rid of
them.
What do people recommend for baiting traps? Am I right in assuming that
bacon works as well on rats as it does on mice?
I am not freaked: I live in the country, and rats are a common enough
occurrence, so long as they don't come into the house, I am happy enough.
However, I have no intention to facilitate them by offering B&B on my
property. So, traps it is then.
Thank you Pam, Nick and Kay for your good advice.

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 04-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:54:43 +0100, "Cat"
wrote:

snip
What do people recommend for baiting traps? Am I right in assuming that
bacon works as well on rats as it does on mice?

Cold pork sausage is where it's at, apparently.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 04-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"Cat" wrote in message
[...]

Calm down. Cats also are vectors for a number of diseases, and yet
there are folk who live blissfully with cats as pets.
Did you know that the police are now training rats to do the jobs that
sniffer dogs usually to do? The rats are apparently better at it.

Franz

Franz

Old 04-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Cat

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:54:43 +0100, "Cat"
wrote:

snip
What do people recommend for baiting traps? Am I right in assuming that
bacon works as well on rats as it does on mice?

Cold pork sausage is where it's at, apparently.

Cooked or raw? And do they expect relish on the side?
Will they go pester the neighbours if I put broccoli instead?
Just wondering :-)

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 04-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Phil L

Cat wrote:
:: Gasp!
:: I was turning my compost bin over the week end, and four rats ran
:: out of it...
:: I was warned not to put any cooked or meat based organic stuff in
:: the bin, and have been careful not to.
:: The following is what goes in:
:: Grass clippings (possibly a little too much, as it is a bit wet
:: and yukky at the moment)
:: Shredded paper (newspaper and other, but not glossy paper)
:: Kitchen waste (veg peelings, stale bread, and such)
:: Shrub/tree clippings
:: Weeds

The only things to interest rats in this lot is the bread..they already have
an ample (and free) supply of all vegetable products, so there's nothing
much in that department of any interest to them...cut out the bread and
watch them disappear!

[...]

It doesn't matter how gooey it is, they aren't living there - just feeding,
remove the food source and they will forage elsewhere.

Old 04-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Phil L

Cat wrote:
:: "Stephen Howard" wrote in message
:: ...
::: On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:54:43 +0100, "Cat"
::: wrote:
:::
::: snip
:::: What do people recommend for baiting traps? Am I right in
:::: assuming that bacon works as well on rats as it does on mice?
:::
::: Cold pork sausage is where it's at, apparently.
:::
::
:: Cooked or raw? And do they expect relish on the side?
:: Will they go pester the neighbours if I put broccoli instead?
:: Just wondering :-)
::

Cooked - it's more spongy and therefore more difficult to get off the
spike...I find that cooked bacon rind is far better as it's like elastic.
Don't expect to catch more than one or two rats before they get wise,
probably only one - they learn remarkably quickly to avoid traps.

Old 04-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Franz Heymann

Kay writes:
| In article , Nick Maclaren
| writes
|
| They will go once disturbed, anyway. Temporarily.
|
| Rats are pretty common. There's a saying that you're never more

than
| 60ft from a rat. Or 20ft. Or something.

Yes. I think the accurate one says that 99% of the population
is within XXX feet of a rat at any one time. I don't believe
that people swimming 100x offshore are likely to have their toes
nibbled by a passing rat, somehow.

| Call the council rat catcher, or buy some rat traps. But don't

over-
| react or feel that you are a public health nuisance - just relax.

Rats
| happen.

Equally well, don't treat them as just large mice and ignore them.
They are a significant health hazard, though NOT enough of one to
go into panic mode.

Are they genuinely more of a health risk than a pet cat?

Franz

Old 04-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| Equally well, don't treat them as just large mice and ignore them.
| They are a significant health hazard, though NOT enough of one to
| go into panic mode.
|
| Are they genuinely more of a health risk than a pet cat?

A good question. I believe so, but wouldn't be shattered to
find out that converse was true.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Cat

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Are they genuinely more of a health risk than a pet cat?

Franz

I'm no expert (as is painfully obvious from postings)... but I know two
people who got Weil's disease - one died from it, the other was lucky to
pull through and spent considerable spells in hospital before, thankfully,
making a full recovery.

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 04-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Cat

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:32:41 +0100, "Cat"
wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Are they genuinely more of a health risk than a pet cat?

Franz

I'm no expert (as is painfully obvious from postings)... but I know two
people who got Weil's disease - one died from it, the other was lucky to
pull through and spent considerable spells in hospital before,

thankfully,
making a full recovery.

from cats or rat urine?

Rats' urine in both cases.