Old 28-09-2002, 07:49 AM
lsd

Default Moving Plants

Hi,

I have inherited a number of mature shrubs such as Rhododendron,
Spiraea, Prunus Cistena and some others I haven't named yet. They
have all stopped flowering now so is it safe to move them around
within he border to make better use of the sunlight?

If so what is the best way to dig them up, how much of a root ball,
should I worry about cutting into some of the roots etc?

Cheers

lsd

Get the F**K out to reply.
Old 29-09-2002, 02:09 PM
JennyC

"lsd" wrote in message
Hi,

I have inherited a number of mature shrubs such as Rhododendron,
Spiraea, Prunus Cistena and some others I haven't named yet. They
have all stopped flowering now so is it safe to move them around
within he border to make better use of the sunlight?

Yes - now is the perfect time :~)
The soil is still a bit warm and they should be fine.

If so what is the best way to dig them up, how much of a root ball,
should I worry about cutting into some of the roots etc?

Roughly speaking you need as much root ball as possible, but don't
worry too much about severing a few roots here and there. Most shrubs
are fairly robust and will bounce back.

Rodos' are very shallow rooted so be careful when digging them up -
they do move well.

Jenny

Old 30-09-2002, 10:19 AM
lsd

Thanks Jenny. Now I can't put it off any longer.

Cheers

lsd

Get the F**K out to reply.