GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dierama (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84613-dierama.html)

kateh 05-10-2004 05:04 PM

Dierama

Hi Folks,
Anybody here grown dierama (Angel's Fishing Rods)? I have some corms in the
mail and haven't decided what I should do w/'em, yet. The catalog says
they'll take some shade and I have plenty of shady spots, but they are
really-shady. I also have a new raised bed on the edge of the veggie garden
beside the driveway where I thought they'd be quite showy, but it's in full
sun all day. Should be good drainage and easy watering and it's overtop
where the old compost bin was.....but we're quite hot/dry/windy here.

Oh yeah......and do slugs like 'em? :)
Kate(any advice would be appreciated!)H :)

Janet Galpin 05-10-2004 11:58 PM

The message
from "kateh" kateh_1atcharter.net contains these words:

Hi Folks,
Anybody here grown dierama (Angel's Fishing Rods)? I have some corms
in the
mail and haven't decided what I should do w/'em, yet. The catalog says
they'll take some shade and I have plenty of shady spots, but they are
really-shady. I also have a new raised bed on the edge of the veggie
garden
beside the driveway where I thought they'd be quite showy, but it's in full
sun all day. Should be good drainage and easy watering and it's overtop
where the old compost bin was.....but we're quite hot/dry/windy here.

Oh yeah......and do slugs like 'em? :)
Kate(any advice would be appreciated!)H :)

Based on limited experience, I would say go for the sunny spot rather
than shady. I think they don't like it too dry, but you imply you would
be watering if necessary.
I haven't found slugs to be a problem at all.
Janet G

Chris Hogg 06-10-2004 06:59 PM

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:04:16 -0700, "kateh" kateh_1atcharter.net
wrote:

Hi Folks,
Anybody here grown dierama (Angel's Fishing Rods)? I have some corms in the
mail and haven't decided what I should do w/'em, yet. The catalog says
they'll take some shade and I have plenty of shady spots, but they are
really-shady. I also have a new raised bed on the edge of the veggie garden
beside the driveway where I thought they'd be quite showy, but it's in full
sun all day. Should be good drainage and easy watering and it's overtop
where the old compost bin was.....but we're quite hot/dry/windy here.

Oh yeah......and do slugs like 'em? :)
Kate(any advice would be appreciated!)H :)

IME they like plenty of sun and a well-drained, even gritty soil, but
otherwise they're not fussy, except that after they've established,
they don't like being moved. That said, I moved several clumps last
Spring, but dug them up as a solid block of soil, a spade's width and
depth, so they never knew they'd been disturbed, and they've
re-established well. Your raised bed sounds fine. Slugs don't seem to
be a problem. The long, narrow leaves are quite tough.

--
Chris

kateh 06-10-2004 11:26 PM

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...
"kateh" wrote:
Hi Folks,
Anybody here grown dierama (Angel's Fishing Rods)?
(snipped)

IME they like plenty of sun and a well-drained, even gritty soil, but
otherwise they're not fussy, except that after they've established,
they don't like being moved. That said, I moved several clumps last
Spring, but dug them up as a solid block of soil, a spade's width and
depth, so they never knew they'd been disturbed, and they've
re-established well. Your raised bed sounds fine. Slugs don't seem to
be a problem. The long, narrow leaves are quite tough.

Thanks Chris and Janet, appreciate the advice! They arrived today and have
planted them in the raised beds. I ran across the dierama in Ireland last
summer and no one here (Washington state) had heard of it.
Nice to hear from folks who've grown it.
Kate(thanks!)H

Chris Hogg 08-10-2004 06:07 PM

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:26:11 -0700, "kateh" kateh_1atcharter.net
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...
"kateh" wrote:
Hi Folks,
Anybody here grown dierama (Angel's Fishing Rods)?
(snipped)

IME they like plenty of sun and a well-drained, even gritty soil, but
otherwise they're not fussy, except that after they've established,
they don't like being moved. That said, I moved several clumps last
Spring, but dug them up as a solid block of soil, a spade's width and
depth, so they never knew they'd been disturbed, and they've
re-established well. Your raised bed sounds fine. Slugs don't seem to
be a problem. The long, narrow leaves are quite tough.

Thanks Chris and Janet, appreciate the advice! They arrived today and have
planted them in the raised beds. I ran across the dierama in Ireland last
summer and no one here (Washington state) had heard of it.
Nice to hear from folks who've grown it.
Kate(thanks!)H

They're not fully hardy BTW. Don't know how cold it gets in Washington
state, but dieramas are from South Africa, where they only get light
frosts at worst. They may not survive if they go below -5C/23F. An
alternative might be to grow them in pots which you plunge in the
garden during frost-free months, but bring them in for the winter.

--
Chris

kateh 12-10-2004 03:20 PM

"Chris Hogg" wrote
They're not fully hardy BTW. Don't know how cold it gets in Washington
state, but dieramas are from South Africa, where they only get light
frosts at worst. They may not survive if they go below -5C/23F. An
alternative might be to grow them in pots which you plunge in the
garden during frost-free months, but bring them in for the winter.

Appreciate the heads-up! :) I guess the label Hardy-Dierama........is a
bit subjective. :) I planned to treat them like my outdoor
rosemary....which I cover/mulch each year. If they don't make it.........I
guess I'll cry and start again ........in pots.

I have two hardy fuchsia (magellanica riccartonii.....the grand
experiment).......tell me I don't have to mulch those as well!
KateH :)

Chris Hogg 13-10-2004 06:07 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:20:58 -0700, "kateh" kateh_1atcharter.net
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote
They're not fully hardy BTW. Don't know how cold it gets in Washington
state, but dieramas are from South Africa, where they only get light
frosts at worst. They may not survive if they go below -5C/23F. An
alternative might be to grow them in pots which you plunge in the
garden during frost-free months, but bring them in for the winter.

Appreciate the heads-up! :) I guess the label Hardy-Dierama........is a
bit subjective. :) I planned to treat them like my outdoor
rosemary....which I cover/mulch each year. If they don't make it.........I
guess I'll cry and start again ........in pots.

I have two hardy fuchsia (magellanica riccartonii.....the grand
experiment).......tell me I don't have to mulch those as well!
KateH :)

F. riccartonii is one of the hardiest, probably down to -15C/5F. If it
does get cut by frost, it often recovers. F. Mrs Popple is another
tough one.

--
Chris

kateh 19-10-2004 01:31 AM

"Chris Hogg" wrote
F. riccartonii is one of the hardiest, probably down to -15C/5F. If it
does get cut by frost, it often recovers. F. Mrs Popple is another
tough one.

Thanks Chris! :)
KateH