GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mad scientists descend on Oxford - Animal experiments are University's 'catalogue of shame' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84634-re-mad-scientists-descend-oxford-animal-experiments-universitys-catalogue-shame.html)

John Edgar 06-10-2004 10:23 AM

Mad scientists descend on Oxford - Animal experiments are University's 'catalogue of shame'

Why do these idoiots cross post on to uk.rec.gardening. It is very
annoying. I can do without their idiotic ideas clogging up
interesting postings. I wish they would stop.

On 5 Oct 2004 19:44:10 GMT, Professor Ludwig
wrote:

Home Press office Press release: 20.09.04

Mad scientists descend on Oxford
Animal experiments are University's 'catalogue of shame'
In reaction to Oxford University's construction of a new animal
research laboratory on South Parks Road, national campaigning
organisation Animal Aid has produced a hard-hitting, factual booklet
called Oxford University and animal experimentation: a catalogue of
shame.

The booklet documents some of the most severe animal experiments
recently carried out there. Highlighting the horror of this type of
research, on Wednesday 22 September Animal Aid supporters will be
riding around Oxford on tandem bicycles, dressed as boggly-eyed, mad
scientists in blood-covered laboratory coats.

These 'experimenters' will ride past the town hall, the university
Vice Chancellor's office, the student union and other locations, to
hand in copies of the booklet.

The event will be a peaceful and satirical expression of a serious
message.

Oxford University is currently building an £18 million animal
research facility. Our new booklet documents some of the animal
experiments that have already been carried out at this institution, in
the name of science.

Inside the proposed new facility, thousands of animals would be used
in cruel and pointless experiments. One researcher recently revealed
that troops of monkeys are to be housed there. A wealth of scientific
evidence exists which proves that applying the results from such
research to human beings can be unreliable and potentially fatal. Time
and time again, people have suffered severe adverse reactions to drugs
which appeared to be safe when tested on animals, while misleading
data has diverted researchers away from finding cures and treatments
for human disease.

Says Animal Aid scientific consultant, Andre Menache:

"Oxford University has earned itself a reputation for excellence as a
seat of learning. Today, however, it is also synonymous with
controversial animal experiments. These experiments are not about
science or helping human beings through meaningful, rational research.
They are about the search for grants, academic prestige and career
development. If the university were truly interested in finding cures
for human disease, it would invest in a state-of-the-art non-animal
facility and focus on modern technologies instead."

Click here to read Oxford University and Animal Experimentation: A
Catalogue of Shame

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/viv/oxford.pdf

www.animalaid.org.uk | site map | about us |

Animal Aid campaigns peacefully against all animal abuse, and
promotes a cruelty-free lifestyle. You can support our work by
joining, making a donation, or using our online shop. Contact Animal
Aid at The Old Chapel, Bradford Street, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1AW, UK,
tel +44 (0)1732 364546, fax +44 (0)1732 366533, email

John
In limine sapientiae

Tim Challenger 06-10-2004 10:28 AM

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:23:15 +0100, John Edgar wrote:

Why do these idoiots cross post on to uk.rec.gardening. It is very
annoying. I can do without their idiotic ideas clogging up
interesting postings. I wish they would stop.
True, especially as announced in July:

"14:02 20 July 04
NewScientist.com news service

(...)
Oxford University revealed on Monday that by "mutual consent" it had agreed
with the construction firm Montpellier Plc to end their contract to build
the biomedical research facility."

--
Tim C.

Jaques d'Alltrades 06-10-2004 01:45 PM

The message
from John Edgar contains these words:

Why do these idoiots cross post on to uk.rec.gardening. It is very
annoying. I can do without their idiotic ideas clogging up
interesting postings. I wish they would stop.

And why do people repost the lot as quotes?

Don't you realise that people who post these sort of things spread them
like manure over many newsgroups, and seldom, if ever, go to look at the
results of their trolling?

It's just a ploy to caude dissention and discord in as many groups as
possible.

*I* didn't see the original because it fell into my killfile.

Thanks for nothing. Please don't feed the trolls.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/