Old 06-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Registered User

Question Planting Onion sets

I unexpectedly came into 500 Japanese onion sets yesterday when I hadn't intended planting till Spring. I spent part of yesterday digging and spreading manure to get a bed ready. The manure is 2 years old so I'm hoping it's rotted enough to skimp on waiting time before planting the sets. Any thoughts on how soon I can plant without the manure causing problems?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:09:08 +0100, DJBrenton
wrote:

I unexpectedly came into 500 Japanese onion sets yesterday when I hadn't
intended planting till Spring. I spent part of yesterday digging and
spreading manure to get a bed ready. The manure is 2 years old so I'm
hoping it's rotted enough to skimp on waiting time before planting the
sets. Any thoughts on how soon I can plant without the manure causing
problems?

Two year old manure shouldn't present any problems - the only risk was
from scorching, but that's only likely with fresh manure... and fresh
isn't what you got!

Assuming your soil isn't already waterlogged, you should be able to
plant right away.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 06-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Franz Heymann

"DJBrenton" wrote in
message news

I unexpectedly came into 500 Japanese onion sets yesterday when I

hadn't
intended planting till Spring. I spent part of yesterday digging and
spreading manure to get a bed ready. The manure is 2 years old so

I'm
hoping it's rotted enough to skimp on waiting time before planting

the
sets. Any thoughts on how soon I can plant without the manure

causing
problems?

Immediately.

Franz

2007 Topps Football Factory Sealed Hobby Version Sets with all 440 Cards including Tom Brady, Peyton Mannning, Adrian Peterson Rookie and more, plus 2006 and 2005 factory sets. www.SMCCI.com Ponds 0 25-12-2007 10:01 PM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
Planting Onion Sets mary Gardening 0 25-06-2004 03:02 PM
Onion Sets - Second Year? Andy Sanson United Kingdom 3 20-06-2003 09:44 AM