GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   URGENT: New Fence Too Short (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84649-urgent-new-fence-too-short.html)

image165 06-10-2004 05:39 PM

URGENT: New Fence Too Short

Hi,

I have an URGENT question that I need answering. I asked a fencer to construct a new 5 foot fence in my garden. So far he has put up the vertical posts, but he has measured the 5 foot from my neighbour's garden! So, when completed, the fence will actually be 4 foot.

What can I do? Can I ask him to take everything down and start again? If you asked someone to build a 5 foot fence in YOUR garden, you'd expect that to be measured from in YOUR garden, wouldn't you?

David 07-10-2004 01:00 PM

Hi,
I would have thought that a 5 foot fence would be 5 foot, irrespective
of where it's measured from. If due to differences in ground levels it
appears higher (or lower) from one vantage point to another it still is a "5
foot fence". However, depending on the type of fence, the post height can
often be a lot lower than the finished height of the fence (particularly if
rails are being used).
Remember though, you are the customer, if you are not happy, tell them!

good luck,

David

--
image165

Paul D.Smith 07-10-2004 01:34 PM

If the fencing is only 4 foot on your side, does this mean that the bottom
foot is touching earth? It's going to rot real fast if it is. Stop the guy
before he goes any further. Don't be surprised if the price goes up
though - one mans 5ft fence, is another mans 5ft fencing panels, unless your
quote is very specific in either direction!

Paul DS

Philip 07-10-2004 01:54 PM

image165 wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have an URGENT question that I need answering. I asked a fencer to
construct a new 5 foot fence in my garden. So far he has put up the
vertical posts, but he has measured the 5 foot from my neighbour's
garden! So, when completed, the fence will actually be 4 foot.

What can I do? Can I ask him to take everything down and start again?
If you asked someone to build a 5 foot fence in YOUR garden, you'd
expect that to be measured from in YOUR garden, wouldn't you?

Are you pulling our collective todgers here? Just in case you are not
here is my advice. I would tell the fence builder to stop work,
because you are not happy and there for not going to pay. You must be
on quite a slope if there is a foot difference between yours and your
neighbours garden.

Victoria Clare 07-10-2004 03:53 PM

(Philip) wrote in
om:

You must be
on quite a slope if there is a foot difference between yours and your
neighbours garden.

LOL!

My garden is about 3 feet below my neighbours on one side, 3 feet above my
other neighbours (who are horses) and about 5 feet below my neighbours who
are further up the hill!

This is a reasonably hilly part of Cornwall: our part of it is really quite
flat. You can put down quite large objects without them rolling away never
to be seen again...

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Philip 08-10-2004 02:53 PM

Victoria Clare wrote in message .240.23...
(Philip) wrote in
om:

You must be
on quite a slope if there is a foot difference between yours and your
neighbours garden.

LOL!

My garden is about 3 feet below my neighbours on one side, 3 feet above my
other neighbours (who are horses) and about 5 feet below my neighbours who
are further up the hill!

This is a reasonably hilly part of Cornwall: our part of it is really quite
flat. You can put down quite large objects without them rolling away never
to be seen again...

Victoria

This guy APPARENTLY has a 1 foot drop in the thickness of a fence. If
we assume for ease that the posts are 6 inches thick that is a 77
degree slope, or to put it in Road sign language 75%.

There comes a time when you have to allow contractors to do their
thing, especially if it requires the use of Crampons to inspect their
work.