Old 28-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Bush

Default Yew Trees

How much should I expect to pay for a yew bush about 50cm tall ?
....and, where would be the best place to buy such a thing ?

Old 28-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Sacha

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:15:29 +0100, Bush
wrote:

How much should I expect to pay for a yew bush about 50cm tall ?
...and, where would be the best place to buy such a thing ?

The best thing is to ring around various nurseries and gcs in your
area. If you want several for hedging, you could also do an internet
search for mail order suppliers but it's as well to know something
about whatever source you decide upon. For example, we sell yews
between 4 and 5 feet tall for 13 ukp but Ray tells me that fastigiate
yews are more expensive, generally speaking.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/
Old 28-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Drakanthus

How much should I expect to pay for a yew bush about 50cm tall ?
...and, where would be the best place to buy such a thing ?

If you are not in a hurry you could always grow them from seed for free.
I've got around 20 plants grown from seed gathered from the yew trees at
Chatsworth House while on a visit there. They are not particularly fast
growing though, so you would be waiting a few years for them to get to 50cm.

Drakanthus.

Old 29-09-2002, 02:58 AM
Alison

"Bush" wrote in message
How much should I expect to pay for a yew bush about 50cm tall ?
...and, where would be the best place to buy such a thing ?

I've just put in an order for young Yew trees (bog std not fastigiate) that
are deemed to be 12 - 18 inches tall (they're old fashioned and not
metricised yet) and they were £2.29 each. That was from Buckingham
Nurseries - always found their stuff to be of good quality in the past.

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/

--A

Old 29-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Janet Sanderson

I just bought some from Scarborough about 1ft high
£2 each, I got them with a load of stuff and got a
good discount too!

Janet

--
Janet Sanderson
http://www.walnutworks.co.uk

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...

Old 29-09-2002, 10:51 AM
Carol Russell

Drakanthus wrote in message ...
How much should I expect to pay for a yew bush about 50cm tall ?
...and, where would be the best place to buy such a thing ?

If you are not in a hurry you could always grow them from seed for free.
I've got around 20 plants grown from seed gathered from the yew trees at
Chatsworth House while on a visit there. They are not particularly fast
growing though, so you would be waiting a few years for them to get to

50cm.

Only if you want to wait 3 years for them to germinate (according to book).

Art

Old 29-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Drakanthus

If you are not in a hurry you could always grow them from seed for free.
I've got around 20 plants grown from seed gathered from the yew trees at
Chatsworth House while on a visit there. They are not particularly fast
growing though, so you would be waiting a few years for them to get to

50cm.

Only if you want to wait 3 years for them to germinate (according to

book).

Art

It was a few years ago, but as I recall mine came up shortly after being
set. I do remember the berries were red, juicy and very sticky when I picked
them off the tree. I remember squashing them by hand and separating the
seeds from the mush. They were then washed and dried and kept in the fridge
until being planted the following the Spring.

Much more fun to grow your own plants from seed - especially when you are
guessing how to do it.

I'm still waiting with eager anticipation to find what sort of flower I got
by crossing two Amaryllis plants several years ago. One was the standard
red, fairly hardy and produced leaves ahead of flowering, the other was pure
white, somewhat tender (it has since died) and unusually produced its
flowers ahead of producing its leaves. The little bulbs grown from the cross
breed seeds are getting bigger each year and hopefully will flower soon.

Drakanthus.

Old 29-09-2002, 02:53 PM
Chris Stewart

[...]

Yes I have 4 phormium tenax plants which I have grown from seed - now some 4
years old and growing - I don't know if I'd ever buy them, though - they are
plain janes but I like them!
Chris

Old 29-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Bush

Sacha wrote:

The best thing is to ring around various nurseries and gcs in your
area. If you want several for hedging, you could also do an internet
search for mail order suppliers but it's as well to know something
about whatever source you decide upon. For example, we sell yews
between 4 and 5 feet tall for 13 ukp but Ray tells me that fastigiate
yews are more expensive, generally speaking.

Yes, I do have hedging in mind. Fastigiate ? Tell me more...

Old 29-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Sacha

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:08:15 +0100, Bush
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

The best thing is to ring around various nurseries and gcs in your
area. If you want several for hedging, you could also do an internet
search for mail order suppliers but it's as well to know something
about whatever source you decide upon. For example, we sell yews
between 4 and 5 feet tall for 13 ukp but Ray tells me that fastigiate
yews are more expensive, generally speaking.

Yes, I do have hedging in mind. Fastigiate ? Tell me more...

Taxus baccata is the common English yew often used for hedging. The
Taxus baccata fastigiata is the Irish yew which forms a column of
closely packed branches. There's also T.baccata fastigiata
aureomarginata which is the golden Irish yew. Where people in this
area want to achieve that lovely Med. column of Cupressus
sempervirens, they often use T.b. fastigiata because C. sempervirens
doesn't seem to keep its shape too well in our moist and mild winter
climate.
C.b. fastigiata is very slow growing in Ray's experience. We have one
about 6 or 7 years old in the carpark border and it's only about 6'
tall now. He's also used them to train round two hoops to make a
'window' from one lawn across to another and having been planted at
4' tall, they've taken 6 years to meet in the middle. HTH.

Old 30-09-2002, 02:46 AM
news.verizon.net

Forget it. Yews are weeds. Pick out a better evergreen. You'll be
pruning that yew every year and it will still look awful. I have seen
yews that were left alone grow to 20 meters tall and 20 meters wide.

Old 30-09-2002, 08:15 AM
Bush

news.verizon.net wrote:
Forget it. Yews are weeds. Pick out a better evergreen. You'll be
pruning that yew every year and it will still look awful. I have seen
yews that were left alone grow to 20 meters tall and 20 meters wide.

Sounds wonderful to me. One man's weed...