GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   calibrating max/min (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84759-calibrating-max-min.html)

jim 08-10-2004 09:05 PM

calibrating max/min

My Max/min thermometer does not give equal readings onthe two scales.Any
ideahow I can equalise them please? It is a mercury thermometer with markers
in eachsection of a U-shaped tube.
These can be reset by an inbuilt magnet at the back.

Cerumen 09-10-2004 07:53 AM

"jim" wrote in message
My Max/min thermometer does not give equal readings onthe two scales.Any
ideahow I can equalise them please? It is a mercury thermometer with

markers
in eachsection of a U-shaped tube.

Chances are that the U tube has slipped up or down in it's clamps and just
needs to be moved up or down again until the top of the mercury column in
each leg is level with the same number on each scale. If that doesn't do
it there must be a manufacturing fault and you will need to realign one of
the scale stickers. HTH

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Franz Heymann 09-10-2004 09:27 AM

"jim" wrote in message
My Max/min thermometer does not give equal readings onthe two

scales.Any
ideahow I can equalise them please? It is a mercury thermometer with

markers
in eachsection of a U-shaped tube.
These can be reset by an inbuilt magnet at the back.

That usually means that the glassware is not mounted correctly i the
frame. Try moving it slightly up and down till the readings are the
same.

Franz

Franz Heymann 09-10-2004 03:58 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:27:58 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
My Max/min thermometer does not give equal readings onthe two

scales.Any
ideahow I can equalise them please? It is a mercury thermometer

with
markers
in eachsection of a U-shaped tube.
These can be reset by an inbuilt magnet at the back.

That usually means that the glassware is not mounted correctly i

the
frame. Try moving it slightly up and down till the readings are

the
same.

It's quicker to buy a new one, they cost almost nothing nowadays.

Unfortunately they almost all suffer from the same problem,
{:-((

Franz

Franz Heymann 09-10-2004 09:25 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 14:58:59 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
My Max/min thermometer does not give equal readings onthe two
scales.Any
ideahow I can equalise them please? It is a mercury

thermometer
with
markers
in eachsection of a U-shaped tube.
These can be reset by an inbuilt magnet at the back.

That usually means that the glassware is not mounted correctly i

the
frame. Try moving it slightly up and down till the readings are

the
same.

It's quicker to buy a new one, they cost almost nothing nowadays.

Unfortunately they almost all suffer from the same problem,
{:-((

Not all in Dutch DIY places.

You're lucky there.

Franz

David Hill 10-10-2004 09:23 PM

Jim wrote "My Max/min thermometer does not give equal readings on
the two scales.Any idea how I can equalise them please? It is a mercury
thermometer with markers in each section of a U-shaped tube.
These can be reset by an inbuilt magnet at the back. .........."

To put it simply....you cant equalise them.
BUT.........if you look carefully at the glass U you may see 2 marks cut
onto each side of the tubes, one at 32 F and the other at around 80 F (well
you always did in the "Old days") .
I always use the Min temp for recording the low temp. as long as it is below
60F and the Max for highest as long as it is over 60 F.
With my thermometer the difference is just one degree F so it is easy to
compensate.
Older thermometers were always checked when they were made and the 2
settings marked on the glass tube.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries