GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clematis Montana again....sorry (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8476-clematis-montana-again-sorry.html)

Mike Fitzpatrick 28-09-2002 12:53 PM

Clematis Montana again....sorry

Ok then the general consensus of opinion is to prune aforesaid plant after
flowering....Does that mean immediately after or can I do it today as it did
flower around spring this year, so now is technically "after".
It would be easier now as the ground where I need to stand to do the pruning
is being cleared for the winter.
Many thanks again
Mike
--
Remove "nospam." to reply

Emrys Davies 28-09-2002 02:55 PM

Clematis Montana again....sorry

'Mike,

This site is very explicit and hopefully you will find it helpful. As
you will see, to prune now will mean that you lose some of next years
flowers so you have to make a choice.

http://www.gardenforum.demon.co.uk/clematis.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Rachel Sullivan 28-09-2002 05:49 PM

Clematis Montana again....sorry

In article , Mike
Fitzpatrick writes
Ok then the general consensus of opinion is to prune aforesaid plant after
flowering....Does that mean immediately after or can I do it today as it did
flower around spring this year, so now is technically "after".
It would be easier now as the ground where I need to stand to do the pruning
is being cleared for the winter.

The growth the montana has put on since it flowered is what it will
flower on next Spring. If you cut it back *immediately* it has finished
flowering (that is around June - July) there is plenty of time for it to
grow summore.

Now it won't. So if you cut it back you'll lose your flowers.

OK?
--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site