Old 28-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Alan G

Default Removing Council Owned Trees?

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:52:12 +0000 (UTC), "David J Clarke"
wrote:

"mo" wrote in message ...
| why not just cut chunks out of the tree and hope no one notices?
|
| i mean the council probably owns thousands of trees around your city

Because someone will see you, and they will grass you up. Interfering do-gooding neighbours really **** me off.

My council own 28,000 trees apparently. Just thought I'd mention it.

My council operates 91 cctv cameras.
Nobody oversees their use.
--
Alan G

The rule of law 'excludes the idea of any exemption
of officials or others from the duty of obedience to
the law which governs other citizens or from the
jurisdiction of the ordinary tribunals'
(Dicey)
Old 29-09-2002, 12:39 AM
R. Mark Clayton

"Top Cat" wrote in message
I've got a very large Silver Birch tree just outside my boundary. It's on

council owned verge, overhangs my property, and the sap makes a hell of

the
mess of my car when parked on the driveway, it's a bloody nuisance!. Do

you
think as if I asked the council they would be obliged to remove it and

plant
something else more appropiate?

P.S. I'm a private householder.

Ask the Council to lop it first - this will save you the trouble, but
remember they will be pretty slow to act.

If they refuse or just don't then proceed as described elsewhere in the
thread to cut it back to the boundary, however check first that it does not
have a Tree Preservation Order. If your house is relatively new check for
covenants / planning conditions limiting your right to cut trees for a few
years (e.g. ten).

Old 29-09-2002, 01:06 AM
Joe Lee

"Bobby Bewl" wrote in message
"Top Cat" wrote in message
I've got a very large Silver Birch tree just outside my boundary. It's

on
council owned verge, overhangs my property, and the sap makes a hell of

the
mess of my car when parked on the driveway, it's a bloody nuisance!. Do

you
think as if I asked the council they would be obliged to remove it and

plant
something else more appropiate?

P.S. I'm a private householder.

First, make sure you get the correct branch of the Council when you

contact
them. There's no point barking up the wrong tree. You may have to root
around for the person responsible, unless, of course, they have turned

over
a new leaf. Let's hope they twig what you are saying.

Bobby

If they do nothing ask for a root & branch enquiry & don't beat about the
bush.

Old 29-09-2002, 07:57 AM
Essjay001

Hi

What part of wiltshire?

--
Stephen Jay

IP scribbled:

Hi
Firstly some simple questions.

Has the tree grown to such an extent since you bought the House that
it now overhangs?

Was the drive always there ?

And finally will be happy when as Wiltshire council now seem hell
bent on doing have chopped all the trees in your county down that
pose any risk of them being sued by Sap fallen branches etc .

Ian
"Top Cat" wrote in message
I've got a very large Silver Birch tree just outside my boundary.
It's on a council owned verge, overhangs my property, and the sap

Old 29-09-2002, 08:48 AM
drew

"Top Cat" wrote in message
I've got a very large Silver Birch tree just outside my boundary. It's on

council owned verge, overhangs my property, and the sap makes a hell of

the
mess of my car when parked on the driveway, it's a bloody nuisance!. Do

you
think as if I asked the council they would be obliged to remove it and

plant
something else more appropiate?

P.S. I'm a private householder.

Your going have a Treemendous fight on your hand's taking it up with the
Council, however one wood think because it's bordering over your property I
think they might do something for yer. It's not blocking the light in your
Living room by anychance is it because then you will have a case. (O;

Drew.M

Old 29-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Hugo Nebula

From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, "Top Cat"
wrote on Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:25:14 +0100:

I've got a very large Silver Birch tree just outside my boundary. It's on a
council owned verge

IANAL (or a tree expert), but some trees can have preservation orders
on them. If they are in a conservation area, this is de-facto a
preservation order. Any work on these trees needs Council (planning)
permission.

If it's an established tree which adds character to a street scene or
was included in the original landscaping of the estate, then even
without a TPO, it might be difficult to persuade the Council (highways
or parks) to remove it. They may be more amenable to pruning[1] it.

[1] Is that the right term? As mentioned above, IANAtreeexpert.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,
Old 29-09-2002, 11:36 AM
Hugo Nebula

From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, Mike
wrote on Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:58:24 +0100:

snip 65 line rant

Jeez, some newsgroups are scary!
Old 29-09-2002, 11:50 AM
David J Clarke

| If it's an established tree which adds character to a street scene or
| was included in the original landscaping of the estate, then even
| without a TPO, it might be difficult to persuade the Council (highways
| or parks) to remove it. They may be more amenable to pruning[1] it.
|
| [1] Is that the right term? As mentioned above, IANAtreeexpert.

My council call it 'Topping & Lopping' and even this activity needs to pass by the planners.

Old 29-09-2002, 02:23 PM
hugh

In article , David J Clarke
writes

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
| It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody bothers
| to ask you the questions.

I wouldn't know about that. Do you really know ALL the answers?

He certainly thinks he does.
--
hugh
Old 29-09-2002, 02:25 PM
hugh

In article , norman
eeserve.co.uk writes

Mike wrote in message ...
In article vjhl9.751$Op4.96001@newsfep2-gui, Top Cat
writes
I've got a very large Silver Birch tree just outside my boundary. It's on

council owned verge, overhangs my property, and the sap makes a hell of

the
mess of my car when parked on the driveway, it's a bloody nuisance!. Do

you
think as if I asked the council they would be obliged to remove it and

plant
something else more appropiate?

P.S. I'm a private householder.

Word your letter to the Council very carefully about you 'charging them'
to have your car cleaned every week/fortnight if they do not keep their
tree under control and from overhanging your land. Remind them that you
are quite within the law to prune any overhanging branches and return
the Prunings to them, ie dump them in the road. Give them 7 days to do
it and add that you will accept no responsibility if the tree dies or is
effected in any way by your lawful action if you do have to do it
yourself. Have the letter delivered by recorded delivery.

Copy the letter to the Council Ombudsman and the Citizens Advice Bureaux

Mike

My area has many council-owned trees and I act on behalf of my residents
association. Any problems with trees and I phone the council parks dept guy
responsible for our area. He meets me on site, usually within a couple of
days. We have a chat, agree a solution to the problem, and agree a schedule
according to the urgency of the problem. You might want to try that approach
instead. There are no extra costs associated with using a pleasant personal
approach; in fact it's cheaper, quicker and frequently more productive ;-)

N.

And will be more receptive in future rather than marking you down in
their little black book to be screwed the minute you step one inch out
of line
--
hugh

Old 29-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Cicero

"Top Cat" wrote in message
I've got a very large Silver Birch tree just outside my boundary. It's on

council owned verge, overhangs my property, and the sap makes a hell of

the
mess of my car when parked on the driveway, it's a bloody nuisance!. Do

you
think as if I asked the council they would be obliged to remove it and

plant
something else more appropiate?

P.S. I'm a private householder.

===============
I believe you can make a rather nice light wine from the sap of birch trees.
Why not take advantage of the free supply on your doorstep? The Council may
have something to say about it eventually but until they remove their sap
you will enjoy the fruits of the land for free!

Cic.

Old 29-09-2002, 09:59 PM
IP

| Hi
| Firstly some simple questions.
|
| Has the tree grown to such an extent since you bought the House that it

now
| overhangs?
|
| Was the drive always there ?
|
| And finally will be happy when as Wiltshire council now seem hell bent

on
| doing have chopped all the trees in your county down that pose any risk

of
| them being sued by Sap fallen branches etc .

Are you one of these 'tree hugging' hippies or do you want to help?

That depends, No I dont want to help someone cut a tree down because it
drops Sap on his car that he parks under it.. Which more than likely was
there before he was. as much as I want to assist in the shooting of every
bird that Sh**s on someones car. All my cars are covered in sap Bird sh**
etc because I chose to live on the edge of a wood. it just means I have to
clean them more often.
Ian

Old 29-09-2002, 10:16 PM
Zizz

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, Mike
wrote on Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:58:24 +0100:

snip 65 line rant

Jeez, some newsgroups are scary!
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,
Tones it down" - Laurie Anderson

Oh that .... that's baby talk compared to others I've seen!

Old 30-09-2002, 01:46 AM
Steve Walker

Mike wrote:

Getting back to your question, Audit are 'your' eyes on the
efficiency of the Council. I have warned Council Employees that
their time/effort is being monitored, but regret I wasn't
believed:-((

What a load of tosh................