GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter window boxes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84816-winter-window-boxes.html)

Andy Hunt 10-10-2004 10:52 AM

Winter window boxes

Hi all,

I have some South-facing window sills, and was planning to attempt to grow
some edibles over the winter. One window box is above a radiator, but the
other two aren't.

I thought maybe lettuce would grow, or that I could maybe have a go at
chillis (too cold?).

Any suggestions for these window boxes would be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

Andrew
http://greencottage.burysolarclub.net

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-10-2004 11:57 AM

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

Hi all,

I have some South-facing window sills, and was planning to attempt to grow
some edibles over the winter. One window box is above a radiator, but the
other two aren't.

I thought maybe lettuce would grow,

Probably be slow, and very straggly unless you provided them with a
daylight lamp.

or that I could maybe have a go at
chillis (too cold?).

They will continue growing, but slowly, and they'll be spindly, unless
you - you've guessed - look up to the lettuce answer!

Any suggestions for these window boxes would be much appreciated!

Cover them with polythene and grow mushrooms?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Kay 10-10-2004 01:57 PM

In article , Andy Hunt
writes
Hi all,

I have some South-facing window sills, and was planning to attempt to grow
some edibles over the winter. One window box is above a radiator, but the
other two aren't.

I thought maybe lettuce would grow, or that I could maybe have a go at
chillis (too cold?).

Any suggestions for these window boxes would be much appreciated!

Light is your main problem - even in a south facing window, the one-
sided light is nowhere near as good as the long days of overhead light
in the summer. At one time you could get radishes which were bred to be
grown in a greenhouse over the winter.

I'd suggest - in the spring, use the window sill to get crops started a
wee bit earlier (but not too early as they'll go leggy with the lack of
light), then in autumn use it to extend the ripening period for things
which you have started outside in pots.
--
Kay

Andy Hunt 14-10-2004 01:48 PM

Light is your main problem - even in a south facing window, the one-
sided light is nowhere near as good as the long days of overhead light
in the summer. At one time you could get radishes which were bred to be
grown in a greenhouse over the winter.

I'd suggest - in the spring, use the window sill to get crops started a
wee bit earlier (but not too early as they'll go leggy with the lack of
light), then in autumn use it to extend the ripening period for things
which you have started outside in pots.

Thanks, both - I didn't realise they would be so useless. I had lettuces
going in them over the summer, which went bananas (but did lean towards the
window, so I had to turn the box round every so often).

I dream of spring . . . (wishing my life away!)