GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   apples for the small garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84819-apples-small-garden.html)

Michael Berridge 10-10-2004 12:44 PM

apples for the small garden

I'm looking for some apple trees, suitable for a small garden, which will
not grow too tall. I've heard that the M9 rootstock isn't very good as it
needs protection from competition.
I've looked at Coronet apples, but can't find what sort of rootstock they
use, even by going on their website, I've seen the same sort and varieties
listed as M9 rootstock for about half the price. So am getting a bit
confused, anyone able to help?

Mike

Robert 10-10-2004 04:14 PM

Michael Berridge wrote:
: I'm looking for some apple trees, suitable for a small garden, which
: will not grow too tall. I've heard that the M9 rootstock isn't very
: good as it needs protection from competition.
: I've looked at Coronet apples, but can't find what sort of rootstock
: they use, even by going on their website, I've seen the same sort and
: varieties listed as M9 rootstock for about half the price. So am
: getting a bit confused, anyone able to help?
:
: Mike

Why don't you try minarettes or dual minarettes from Ken Muir. They are
great and you can get more choice into a small area www.kenmuir.co.uk

Rod 10-10-2004 06:14 PM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:44:50 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

I'm looking for some apple trees, suitable for a small garden, which will
not grow too tall. I've heard that the M9 rootstock isn't very good as it
needs protection from competition.
I've looked at Coronet apples, but can't find what sort of rootstock they
use, even by going on their website, I've seen the same sort and varieties
listed as M9 rootstock for about half the price. So am getting a bit
confused, anyone able to help?

Mike

Before you do anything, look at this month's RHS Garden mag. Super
article in there about cramming loadsa fruit into a small area.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

David Hyams 10-10-2004 06:59 PM

We have done well with a Janes Greives variety which, after 3 years, is
laden with fruit but only about 5 feet tall.