Old 28-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Burrowing frogs?

Was digging in my borders today close to my pond, dug out and turned over a
large lump of earth with a fork, and out jumped a frog! This was hard earth,
and the frog must have burrowed its way down there, it wasnt loose soil. Do
they hibernate in the soil? I've never quite believed the thing about them
hibrnating in the bottom of the pond, they have to breathe dont they?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 29-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Colin A Jacobs

Frogs spend up to three years from birth out of the water before they become
breeding adults. I have found them in vacant mouse holes & even mole runs on
my allotment.

CJ

http://www.ickenham.fsworld.co.uk/index.htm
"Jim W" wrote in message
. ..
Tumbleweed wrote:

Was digging in my borders today close to my pond, dug out and turned

over a
large lump of earth with a fork, and out jumped a frog! This was hard

earth,
and the frog must have burrowed its way down there, it wasnt loose soil.

Do
they hibernate in the soil? I've never quite believed the thing about

them
hibrnating in the bottom of the pond, they have to breathe dont they?

They tend to hibernate in damp places with some protection from frost.
Amongst mud/earth/stones close to ponds is a fairly common position and
it wouldn't surprise me to find them preparing for hibernation now that
the weather is turning cooler.
//
JW

Old 29-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Colin A Jacobs" wrote in message
Frogs spend up to three years from birth out of the water before they

become
breeding adults. I have found them in vacant mouse holes & even mole runs

on
my allotment.

CJ

http://www.ickenham.fsworld.co.uk/index.htm

Colin,

We find the same with toads. They live in holes in the garden, catch the
insects and love being sprayed with the hose. When we walk near the holes
the pop to see what is going on!

Iris McCanna

Help!! What's burrowing in my yard? [email protected] North Carolina 1 24-01-2007 09:27 PM
Pond Turtle Burrowing, Pictures, not sure if laying Eggs bbrown9506 Ponds 2 27-08-2005 09:35 AM
Pond Turtle Burrowing, Pictures, not sure if laying Eggs bbrown9506 Ponds (alternative) 0 27-08-2005 07:48 AM
burrowing animal mobiledan Texas 4 11-08-2004 07:32 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 07:20 PM