Old 12-10-2004, 07:02 PM
DS

Default Overwintering Fuschia

Apologies if the answer to this is simple, but I am new to gardening and
would like to overwinter some non-hardy fuschias. Am I correct in thinking
that I can cut back the root system by half, prune the growth down by about
3/4, transplant to pots and keep moist in the garage over the winter?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Debbie

Old 13-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:02:49 +0100, "DS" wrote:

Apologies if the answer to this is simple, but I am new to gardening and
would like to overwinter some non-hardy fuschias. Am I correct in thinking
that I can cut back the root system by half, prune the growth down by about
3/4, transplant to pots and keep moist in the garage over the winter?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Debbie

That's what I do, but keep them fairly dry. They will not grow much
for several months and if you keep them too moist the roots will rot.
Watch out for vine weevil, if you have had any problems with them in
the past. The grubs have ruined some of mine in the past.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-10-2004, 02:22 PM
DS

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:02:49 +0100, "DS" wrote:

Apologies if the answer to this is simple, but I am new to gardening and
would like to overwinter some non-hardy fuschias. Am I correct in

thinking
that I can cut back the root system by half, prune the growth down by

about
3/4, transplant to pots and keep moist in the garage over the winter?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Debbie

That's what I do, but keep them fairly dry. They will not grow much
for several months and if you keep them too moist the roots will rot.
Watch out for vine weevil, if you have had any problems with them in
the past. The grubs have ruined some of mine in the past.

Pam in Bristol

Many thanks for your help, Pam.
Debbie

Old 13-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Philip

"DS" wrote in message ...
Apologies if the answer to this is simple, but I am new to gardening and
would like to overwinter some non-hardy fuschias. Am I correct in thinking
that I can cut back the root system by half, prune the growth down by about
3/4, transplant to pots and keep moist in the garage over the winter?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Debbie

This website has lots on info on Fuschias, including this part which
deals with over-wintering.

http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/wintercareeng.html
Old 13-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
"DS" wrote in message

Apologies if the answer to this is simple, but I am new to

gardening and
would like to overwinter some non-hardy fuschias. Am I correct in

thinking
that I can cut back the root system by half, prune the growth down

by about
3/4, transplant to pots and keep moist in the garage over the

winter?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Debbie

This website has lots on info on Fuschias, including this part which
deals with over-wintering.

http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/wintercareeng.html

That looked like a very interesting site. It has now been added to my
favourites.
At last I can take a deep breath and try overwintering Fuchsias.
{:-))

Franz

Old 30-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered User

Smile

Hello Debbie I just joined this group this morning but have grown fuchsias for around 30yrs now.

I used to bury my fuchsias in a trench in my greenhouse this method worked very well for me and I had a good success rate.

this year I upgraded to a larger greenhouse and did away with my trench.
So I will also be trying to overwinter my fuchsias as I do not have any heating except for bubble wrap.

But will be covering my fuchsias with horticultural fleece this is their rest time.

You can also use a cardboard box and cover fuchsia swith newspaper and stick in loft.

Take all the leaves off if they have not already shed their leaves.

And cut back most of all rember to lable your fuchsias as next season wehn they grow difficult to remember until they bloom.

Best of luck and happy fuchsia growing you get a lot of pleasure from fuchsias.

Mysterious Fuschia Pen Gardening 0 31-10-2003 06:02 PM
Fuschia's Kari Gardening 2 07-07-2003 04:21 AM
Fuschia Cuttings, when to plant out? Pete United Kingdom 0 30-06-2003 10:56 PM
Fuschia - Will Mine Bloom This Year? Charles Gardening 2 30-04-2003 07:08 AM
Fuschia - Caprice Ian Piper United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 06:08 PM