Old 13-10-2004, 11:13 AM
David

Default Winter colour

Hi,
I have a large beech hedge at the bottom of my garden which in winter
doesn't look particularly good as the hedge has not been trimmed poperly and
most of the growth is at the top, approx 15-20ft high. The hedge is on
some-one else's land so I can't do much about it. I was intending to inject
a bit of winter colour by planting clumps of red and yellow dogwood along
the base of the hedge (about 6ft away).The area I want to plant is a border
of some 75ft in length.
One downside, I have been told, is that dogwood is not particularly
attractive in summer. Any alternatives to dogwood so I have colour in winter
and an attactive shrub in summer?

thanks,

David

Old 13-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Sacha

On 13/10/04 11:13, in article , "David"
wrote:

Hi,
I have a large beech hedge at the bottom of my garden which in winter
doesn't look particularly good as the hedge has not been trimmed poperly and
most of the growth is at the top, approx 15-20ft high. The hedge is on
some-one else's land so I can't do much about it. I was intending to inject
a bit of winter colour by planting clumps of red and yellow dogwood along
the base of the hedge (about 6ft away).The area I want to plant is a border
of some 75ft in length.
One downside, I have been told, is that dogwood is not particularly
attractive in summer. Any alternatives to dogwood so I have colour in winter
and an attactive shrub in summer?

David, if you can find it Rhamnus alaternus is a wonderful plant, IMO. We
have the variegated one at the bottom of our garden here and when so much
else has nothing to say for itself, this is like a beacon! I say if you can
find it because it is notoriously hard to propagate and not all nurseries
offer it by a long chalk. The RHS says it's 'fully to frost hardy' but I'd
check with your supplier. The other choice might be Camellia sasanqua and
others. You don't say where you live but they start blooming in
November/December and with careful planning you could get other varieties to
mix in that will bloom into spring. And of course, they're evergreen with
lovely glossy foliage, too. When they're established, you can grow Clematis
up through them for summer and autumn flowering, too. A Camellia hedge is a
lovely thing, IMO.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 13/10/04 11:13, in article ,
"David" wrote:

[...]

Some gorgeous recipes there, as usual. Camellias are fussy, though;
and if they're exposed the flowers can be ruined by frosts -- if this
garden is on the western side of the hedge that would be much less of
a problem.

But the coloured-barked dogwoods are a very easy and economical
solution for a long run such as David describes. Cornus alba comes in
both white and yellow variegated forms; the flowers and berries are
by no means bad, and the leaves colour in autumn; so they aren't only
of winter interest. You can underplant with small spring bulbs, too,
so you don't feel the loss when you chop the dogwoods back in late
Feb.

Coming home in winter and catching coloured bark in the headlights is
a lovely feeling.

Mike.

Old 14-10-2004, 09:45 AM
David

Thanks, Sacha and Mike,

I've enough space to try Rhamnus alaternus so I'll have a look for a
stockist. My location is in East Lothian on the south east coast of
Scotland. The hedge in fact is on the west of my garden, so in winter it
gives a lot of shade to the bottom of the garden, frost can be an occasional
problem. I'm not certain if a camellia would survive. Hadn't thought about
planting clematis, that's an interesting idea!

thanks,

David

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Old 14-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Sacha

On 14/10/04 9:45, in article , "David"
wrote:

Thanks, Sacha and Mike,

I've enough space to try Rhamnus alaternus so I'll have a look for a
stockist. My location is in East Lothian on the south east coast of
Scotland. The hedge in fact is on the west of my garden, so in winter it
gives a lot of shade to the bottom of the garden, frost can be an occasional
problem. I'm not certain if a camellia would survive. Hadn't thought about
planting clematis, that's an interesting idea!

Check out the Rhamnus *very* carefully, given your location. My husband
isn't at all sure that my varietal suggestions will survive with you but
our experience is Devon and Essex and in my case, Jersey. One can push the
luck quite a bit but......... ;-) In an ideal world, I'd say give it a try
but purses and possibilities will dictate for most of us.
There's a Rhamnus dahurica that a nursery in Inverness has. We don't know
this variety at all so ask the nursery: Iain Brodie of Falsyde, Cuilalunn,
Kinchurdy Road, Boat of Garten, Invernessshire, Tel. 01479 831464 and
email:
Another thought for a small tree which blooms late here and smells delicious
is Clerodendrum trichotomum (var. fargesii) We have one of those growing
on a boundary wall and it's a beautiful shape and a really lovely small
tree. Again, do a local check, though the RHS book says it can go to -15 C
(5F)! It's a fabulous plant, IMO and I can't imagine why it isn't grown
more widely.

Camellias are fully to frost hardy so again (sorry to be so repetitive) you
need to check what will grow in your area. This, BTW, is why newcomers to
the group are so often asked for their location or what they grow already.
It makes it easier to recommend the right thing.

snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Your winter colour suggestions skybluecat United Kingdom 0 27-11-2006 04:59 PM
Winter Colour skybluecat United Kingdom 4 25-11-2006 09:59 AM
Winter colour JennyC United Kingdom 8 30-10-2004 03:33 PM
Restore colour to wooden deck Stephen Oakes Australia 6 07-02-2004 06:17 AM
Winter colour Stephen Howard United Kingdom 0 05-12-2002 09:47 AM