Old 29-09-2002, 09:47 AM
gort

Default impatien ,bud like thing*********************************************

hi, we have impatiens indoors in pots, when the flower dies and drops off it
leaves a little bud like thing. are these like rose hips, ie better cut off
so the plant uses its energy on only making flowers not seeds.

we want to maximize the number of flowers, so should we prune off these
things?

thanks for any comments

Old 29-09-2002, 01:37 PM
MrGreenJeans

The bud like thing is how it gets it's name. When you touch the pod it
should explode and curl up and drop it's seeds. It's Impatient.

If you cut off this early it will help the plant last longer. I have kept
my impatient thru the winter. The only problem is that they get leggy.
Hope this helps

Old 30-09-2002, 10:15 AM
gort

Many thanks MrGreenJeans . Would it be a good idea to trim it off as soon
as the flower starts to wither? And would you trim it close to the bud
itself or right back to the stem junction?
Regards john west

s.com...

"gort" wrote in message
hi, we have impatiens indoors in pots, when the flower dies and drops

off
it
leaves a little bud like thing. are these like rose hips, ie better cut

off
so the plant uses its energy on only making flowers not seeds.

we want to maximize the number of flowers, so should we prune off these
things?

thanks for any comments

Lilly - black bud like growths Robbo99 Gardening 1 02-08-2011 09:52 PM
Horn-like thing on tomatoes OTM Edible Gardening 7 08-09-2003 03:04 AM
first bud dave weil Roses 17 02-04-2003 05:08 PM
Frogs ... a good thing or a bad thing ... Darren Ponds 22 25-03-2003 06:32 AM
Can I bud/graft cherry onto plum rootstock? Joe Jamies Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:27 PM