Old 29-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Bob

Default Pollarding Silver Birch ??

We have two Silver Birch trees in our garden that have become over large ( height of house).

Is it practical to pollard them or otherwise get them pruned - or is it a case of "cut 'em down and
replant with something more suitable" ??

Old 29-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Rod

"Bob" wrote in message
We have two Silver Birch trees in our garden that have become over large

( height of house).

Is it practical to pollard them or otherwise get them pruned - or is it a

case of "cut 'em down and
replant with something more suitable" ??

Ugh - horrible thing to do to 'The Lady of the Woods'. Take the poor things
out and plant something smaller. Just my 2p worth.

Rod

Old 29-09-2002, 08:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .
We have two Silver Birch trees in our garden that have become over large

( height of house).

Is it practical to pollard them or otherwise get them pruned - or is it a

case of "cut 'em down and
replant with something more suitable" ??

Ugh - horrible thing to do to 'The Lady of the Woods'. Take the poor things
out and plant something smaller. Just my 2p worth.

Make that a New Groat between us :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 29-09-2002, 09:43 PM
david

Silver birch don't take to being cut about, lets in disease and will kill
the tree.
Best to remove and replace with a young tree.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 29-09-2002, 11:54 PM
dee.adams

Yes thats what a tree surgeon told me too

"david" wrote in message
Silver birch don't take to being cut about, lets in disease and will kill
the tree.
Best to remove and replace with a young tree.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Lawns 6 11-07-2004 09:02 PM
Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Gardening 6 11-07-2004 09:02 PM
SILVER BIRCH Norman Australia 1 07-11-2003 05:42 AM
A bleeding silver birch tree - should I worry ? David C United Kingdom 2 20-03-2003 12:32 AM
Pollarding silver birch trees. David C United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 10:26 AM