Old 29-09-2002, 07:02 PM
John Watson

Default Renovating apple trees

The problem I have is with two apple trees. About 12 years ago I cut down
an old and derelict apple tree and someone presented me with two fine
young trees - a Cox and a James Grieve. This was problematic because I
really had nowhere to put them in my 70' garden. Apart, that is, for a
strip of earth about .5m wide, south-facing and running between a
concrete patio and a fence. So in they went, about a meter apart. I began
to prune them as cordons but did not persist with this, though I have
pruned lightly each year to keep the trees open. But the results have
been dismal. The JG carried some fruit, though most years the plant
growth is poor, the leaves diseased and the fruit infected. I have
sprayed with tar oil and used grease bands, but to no effect.
The conclusion I have come to is that I should grub the trees out - they
are unproductive and unattractive. Do you think these trees can be saved?

Ask me for any information that's been left out. Thanks in advance,
--
John Watson
Old 29-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Rod

"John Watson" wrote in message
The problem I have is with two apple trees. About 12 years ago I cut down
an old and derelict apple tree and someone presented me with two fine
young trees - a Cox and a James Grieve.

The last 2 varieties I would give to a frien I wanted to keep.
Cox gets mildew too badly and won't thrive much North of the Trent.
JG is prey to scab and canker.
Both nice enough apples otherwise but not very easy to get good results.
I hope Anton will be along to give you some ideas for better apples to
plant.

Rod

Old 29-09-2002, 10:28 PM
anton

[...]

What part of the country are you in?

--
Anton

Old 29-09-2002, 11:12 PM
John Watson

anton spake thusly:
[...]

Wimbledon (yes near London what other Wimbledon is there).

--
John Watson

Renovating raised beds David United Kingdom 22 06-02-2006 04:34 PM
Renovating / renewing a concreted and patioed garden James United Kingdom 2 04-04-2005 06:00 PM
Renovating garden gary Gardening 3 05-03-2005 05:22 PM
Help...renovating shade area Heidi the Horrible Lawns 7 31-07-2004 08:50 AM
Renovating Wild Black Raspberries? Jenny Gardening 4 01-07-2004 02:07 AM