GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hard Weather Ahead? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85117-hard-weather-ahead.html)

Joanne 17-10-2004 12:44 PM

Hard Weather Ahead?

With all this talk about the possibility of a hard winter, having lived in
Canada for many years I am still amazed that, in mid-October, my garden is
full of flowers - sweet pea, aster, rudbeckia, dahlia, anemone,
passionflower, hebe, sedum. And yesterday my garden was full of bees and
even a comma butterfly. Luverly!

Sacha 17-10-2004 01:23 PM

On 17/10/04 12:44, in article ,
"Joanne" wrote:

With all this talk about the possibility of a hard winter, having lived in
Canada for many years I am still amazed that, in mid-October, my garden is
full of flowers - sweet pea, aster, rudbeckia, dahlia, anemone,
passionflower, hebe, sedum. And yesterday my garden was full of bees and
even a comma butterfly. Luverly!

We still have Salvias in flower, Fuchsias, Dahlias, Rudbeckias, Euryops,
Verbena, Nemesia and many other things. I even found a second flush
foxglove flowering. But old wife's tale or not, the holly trees are
smothered in berries.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

David Hill 17-10-2004 02:04 PM

And just when I have been notified of a third price rise in the last few
months for the bulk gas I use for heating.
The price has now gone up by about 45% this year.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Nick Maclaren 17-10-2004 03:05 PM

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
And just when I have been notified of a third price rise in the last few
months for the bulk gas I use for heating.
The price has now gone up by about 45% this year.

Just you wait. I am predicting a 500% rise within a few years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha 17-10-2004 03:43 PM

On 17/10/04 14:04, in article , "David
Hill" wrote:

And just when I have been notified of a third price rise in the last few
months for the bulk gas I use for heating.
The price has now gone up by about 45% this year.

The pink stuff has gone up too. ;-( Everything is going to be tested right
to its frost limits this year, I think!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Broadback 17-10-2004 07:18 PM

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:04:45 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

And just when I have been notified of a third price rise in the last few
months for the bulk gas I use for heating.
The price has now gone up by about 45% this year.

All over Europe, the price of natural gas is linked to the price of
crude oil.

A plus to these price rises is that it make alternative sources of
energy more likely. I can't wait for the hydrogen era to come in.
Looks like the Canadians are getting on top of it!

Richard Sterry 17-10-2004 07:48 PM

"Joanne" wrote in message
With all this talk about the possibility of a hard winter, having lived in
Canada for many years I am still amazed that, in mid-October, my garden is
full of flowers - sweet pea, aster, rudbeckia, dahlia, anemone,
passionflower, hebe, sedum. And yesterday my garden was full of bees and
even a comma butterfly. Luverly!

You are probably aware that a 'hard' winter in Canada is when you can't find
your house under the snow, let alone your car. In this country, a hard
winter is when there is one flake of snow! It never ceases to amaze me how
the British, particularly the English actually, act all surprised when we
get wintery weather in winter - they are never prepared, despite the fact
that winter comes round every year without fail.

Now, when I were a lad we used to have PROPER winters! ;-)

Rick

Charlie Pridham 17-10-2004 08:54 PM

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

And just when I have been notified of a third price rise in the last

few
months for the bulk gas I use for heating.
The price has now gone up by about 45% this year.

All over Europe, the price of natural gas is linked to the price of
crude oil.

A plus to these price rises is that it make alternative sources of
energy more likely. I can't wait for the hydrogen era to come in.
Looks like the Canadians are getting on top of it!

Hydrogen is created using electricity, which is generated using fossil
or nuclear fuel.
--
Martin

Not in Canada's case they even call it Hydro :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Franz Heymann 17-10-2004 10:20 PM

wrote:

And just when I have been notified of a third price rise in the

last few
months for the bulk gas I use for heating.
The price has now gone up by about 45% this year.

All over Europe, the price of natural gas is linked to the price

of
crude oil.

A plus to these price rises is that it make alternative sources of
energy more likely. I can't wait for the hydrogen era to come in.
Looks like the Canadians are getting on top of it!

In what way is the hydrogen era an era of alternative energy ragher
than an alternative method of storing energy?
How is the hydrogen produced?

Franz

Jeanne Stockdale 17-10-2004 11:17 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

In what way is the hydrogen era an era of alternative energy ragher
than an alternative method of storing energy?
How is the hydrogen produced?

Franz

Sunpower!

All energy sources on earth, past, present and future are derived from the
sun.
The future for our long-term survival is to shortcut the years of previous
storage to direct access -imho.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Franz Heymann 18-10-2004 07:53 AM

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

In what way is the hydrogen era an era of alternative energy

ragher
than an alternative method of storing energy?
How is the hydrogen produced?

Franz

Sunpower!

All energy sources on earth, past, present and future are derived

from the
sun.
The future for our long-term survival is to shortcut the years of

previous
storage to direct access -imho.

Don't just recite mantras.
And your mantra is wrong. A very substantial fraction of the energy
on earth is produced from sources deep in the interior of the earth.
You have not said how the hydrogen is produced.
Try again.

Franz

David Hill 18-10-2004 08:17 AM

Janet wrote "....I bought CH oil for 14.8 p per litre last Spring; it's
currently 27.2 p per litre ( and rising daily according to both local
suppliers)..........."

Lucky you, My starting point was 19.9p a litre and unlike you I can't shop
round for the Gas.
But this is going to be a very hard winter, as far as heating costs are
concerned, for all.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Martin Sykes 18-10-2004 09:08 AM

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
All energy sources on earth, past, present and future are derived from
the
sun.

Actually, tidal energy comes from the moon's gravitational pull and
geothermal energy comes from inside the earth, but everything else - coal,
oil, gas and wind is driven by the sun.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

BAC 18-10-2004 10:14 AM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:08:46 +0100, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
All energy sources on earth, past, present and future are derived from
the
sun.

Actually, tidal energy comes from the moon's gravitational pull and
geothermal energy comes from inside the earth, but everything else -

coal,
oil, gas and wind is driven by the sun.

and nuclear power?

Quite right, the sun is powered by nuclear fission, so it could be argued
all the energy sources 'claimed' for the sun are in fact a form of 'nuclear
power'.

If only we humans could attain the holy grail of controllable fission power
generation, cutting out the middleman :-)