Old 29-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Drakanthus

Default Hawthorne

Anyone know how to propagate from seed?
I've tried several times over the last few years from ripe berries picked
from hedgerows and I've never had a single seedling come up!
Self-set hawthorne seem to crop up where birds roost (or poo) - is this a
clue? I'm beginning to suspect there may be another element needed - such as
the berries passing through a bird first?
How are they propagated commercially?
--

(SPAM FILTER in use: Include the word VB anywhere in the SUBJECT LINE or
emails will never reach me.)

Old 30-09-2002, 12:03 AM
ned

Drakanthus wrote:
Anyone know how to propagate from seed?
I've tried several times over the last few years from ripe berries
picked from hedgerows and I've never had a single seedling come up!
Self-set hawthorne seem to crop up where birds roost (or poo) - is
this a clue? I'm beginning to suspect there may be another element
needed - such as the berries passing through a bird first?
How are they propagated commercially?

At a guess, I'd say they are propagated from cuttings. I tried it last
year from hedge trimmings quite successfully.

--
ned

---

Old 30-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Alan Gould

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
Anyone know how to propagate from seed?
I've tried several times over the last few years from ripe berries picked
from hedgerows and I've never had a single seedling come up!
Self-set hawthorne seem to crop up where birds roost (or poo) - is this a
clue? I'm beginning to suspect there may be another element needed - such as
the berries passing through a bird first?
How are they propagated commercially?

According to Sanders Enc., Common Hawthorn - Crataegus oxycantha, can be
propagated from seed, but the berries need to be stored in sand for a
year before sowing.

Commercial growers probably use chip-budding as described in RHS Enc.

--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.