Old 15-10-2002, 12:26 PM
sacha

Default Trip to USA

The time has come for the great Hubbard expedition to the colonies. We
leave this w/e for our month in LA, SF and Hawaii, so any (polite)
suggestions as to absolutely must sees will be welcomed, even if we can't do
them all! We're going to a nursery in Montecito because it popagates
Nemesia 'Bluebird' and to Lotusland, a fabulous and v. large garden nearby.
Driving up Highway 1, I daresay we'll find other glories to gawp up. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Michael Savage

"sacha" wrote in message
The time has come for the great Hubbard expedition to the colonies. We
leave this w/e for our month in LA, SF and Hawaii, so any (polite)
suggestions as to absolutely must sees will be welcomed, even if we can't

do
them all! We're going to a nursery in Montecito because it popagates
Nemesia 'Bluebird' and to Lotusland, a fabulous and v. large garden

nearby.
Driving up Highway 1, I daresay we'll find other glories to gawp up. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Having had two trips to SF area, my suggestions are
The elephant seals - Point Lobos? between LA nd SF - they might not be back
in numbers yet but even the few juveniles I saw (in May I think) were mighty
impressive. Not very OT I know...

More OT... in any of the redwood forests north of SF you should keep an eye
open for Banana Slugs - 6-9" and bright yellow...won't make you fall in love
with its cousins here but gives you a new insight to them.

If you get up into the Sierras you might see Pacific Dogwood...though I
think it won't be in flower/bract - though Roger's your man to tell you
that...

Xeroscaping garden near the Piers in SF

Golden Gate Park - just for the sheer size.

Hmmmm must get back over there soon.

Michael S

Old 15-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Nick Wagg

Michael Savage wrote:

"sacha" wrote in message
The time has come for the great Hubbard expedition to the colonies. We
leave this w/e for our month in LA, SF and Hawaii...

If you're going to San Francisco,
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

--
Nick Wagg
TranscenData Europe Ltd, Oakington House, Oakington, Cambridge CB4 5AF
Old 15-10-2002, 03:35 PM

Nick Wagg wrote:

If you're going to San Francisco,
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Whatever became of Scott Mackenzie?

Returning to the original off-topic:
Volcano national park on the "Big Island," Hawaii, being sure to walk
through an ancient lava tube. Closest most of us will get to another
planet. And there's something surreal to us cold-climate gardeners that
orchids are roadside weeds. Memories, both good and sad...

Old 15-10-2002, 04:29 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Nick Wagg
writes
If you're going to San Francisco,
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Showing your age, old son, showing your age )))))))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 16-10-2002, 06:56 AM
kdupar

IMHO, the real must-sees are the menus of the restaurants in SF.
I've never had a bad meal in SF, and most have been really good,
even from insignificant little holes in the wall with very
limited menus.

To hell with gardens, bring on the food!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Especially if you can find one of the Good Earth chain of restaurants,
my absolute favourite. It was always our first eating stop when
visiting our daughter during her Stanford days (that particular one is
on University Avenue in Palo Alto, but the first one we ever visited
was in L.A.). When she moved on to Berkeley for graduate school, she
took us to a fantastic "all you can eat", cafeteria-style, healthy
eating restaurant (again, part of a small chain in the Bay area) whose
name escapes me. It was something like Fresh Fields (but that is the
name of the organic/wholefood supermarket near her current home in
Washington, D.C.). I wish we had those restaurants and markets here in
Scotland!

Kristina
www.black-isle.info/orchard

Old 16-10-2002, 03:47 PM
sacha

From: (kdupar)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 04:56:10 GMT
Subject: Trip to USA

[...]

And to think we're trying (fruitlessly) to lose weight..... groaaaaan! My
son is getting married next August and I don't want to go down the aisle
like a battleship!
Thanks everyone, all suggestions have been duly noted. If we're allowed to
bring back seeds and if I can find them, does anyone have any special
requests?

Old 17-10-2002, 07:09 PM
Judith Lea

In article , sacha
writes
Thanks everyone for all the ideas - we'll bear them in mind. And Roger, I'm
shocked, truly shocked! We intend to hit Fisherman's Wharf and have been
told of a wonderful bar atop a very tall building from which to watch the
sunset.....

Edward and I were there in March this year - superb views. On the
Wharf, try to find the smaller restaurants where the Bay people eat -
much better than the larger more commercial ones which mainly cater to
the tourists - they are good but not so good as the lesser known ones.
Also try eating at an open air fish stall just to the left side of Pier 39 I
think, fish straight from the sea and onto your plates within minutes,yum!

It's worth a drive to Yosemite Valley to see the Giant Redwoods and if
you are lucky, a bear or two.
--
Judith Lea

Potato varieties and a trip to the HDRA jane United Kingdom 21 05-02-2004 09:06 PM
Trip to Homestead MD Orchids 5 28-04-2003 05:20 AM
[IBC] Making a weekend trip - Collecting Oppty's near Asheville, NC dalecochoy Bonsai 0 07-04-2003 06:56 PM
Making a weekend trip - Collecting Oppty's near Asheville, NC Allen Bonsai 0 07-04-2003 05:56 PM
Road trip Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 12:08 PM