Old 20-10-2004, 07:47 PM
JennyC

Default Winter colour

Hi all

Any suggestions for a plant or combination of plants for a biggish pot by the
front door?

Needs to be fully hardy - it can get down to -12 here at times.
NOT heather - can't abide the stuff!
Nice leaves would be good
Not to tall - 3ft max
Maybe last all winter
Could be underplanted with bulbs......

Jenny

Old 27-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Magwitch

JennyC muttered:

Hi all

Any suggestions for a plant or combination of plants for a biggish pot by the
front door?

Needs to be fully hardy - it can get down to -12 here at times.
NOT heather - can't abide the stuff!
Nice leaves would be good
Not to tall - 3ft max
Maybe last all winter
Could be underplanted with bulbs......

Jenny

I've got a huge Italian terracotta planter filled with assorted hebes that
are great at the moment and show no signs of ceasing flowering (might need
to be more sheltered later on). Also in 2 big ericaceous compost filled half
barrels I put in skimmias and evergreen azaleas and Leucothoe fontanesiana
(these are evergreen but with wonderful red leaves) I was debating whether
to buy 2 holly pyramids for them as something that's structural in winter
looks really good.

Btw have a look at:

http://www.italianterrace.co.uk/

Even when their pots are just filled with some grasses or box, they look
wonderful.

Old 29-10-2004, 08:56 AM
JennyC

"Magwitch" wrote
[...]

Nice pots. :~) The one I have if blue glazed and about 40 tall / diameter

I find my Hebes tend not to be very frost resistant, so i bring them into the GH
usually.

ATM I'm thinking grasses (my gawd I sound like that awful wine tasting woman on
the telly!)

Jenny

Old 29-10-2004, 04:04 PM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:56:53 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

ATM I'm thinking grasses (my gawd I sound like that awful wine tasting woman

on
the telly!)

I'm thinking 'You can smell the east wind blowing off the Urinals'
sketch.
-- Martin

?????
Jenny

Old 30-10-2004, 10:25 AM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:04:48 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:56:53 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

ATM I'm thinking grasses (my gawd I sound like that awful wine tasting

woman
on
the telly!)

I'm thinking 'You can smell the east wind blowing off the Urinals'
sketch.
-- Martin

?????

Dilly what's her name, that awful wine tasting woman
on TV once did a wine sampling and commented "Drink this and you can
smell the wind blowing off the Urals" A sketch parodying her turned
it into the wind blowing off the urinals.
-- Martin

Thanks :~))
Jenny

Old 30-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
?????

Dilly what's her name, that awful wine tasting woman
on TV once did a wine sampling and commented "Drink this and you can
smell the wind blowing off the Urals" A sketch parodying her turned
it into the wind blowing off the urinals.
-- Martin

Thanks :~))

Jilly Goulden
--
Kay

Old 30-10-2004, 11:00 AM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
?????
Dilly what's her name, that awful wine tasting woman
on TV once did a wine sampling and commented "Drink this and you can
smell the wind blowing off the Urals" A sketch parodying her turned
it into the wind blowing off the urinals.
-- Martin

Thanks :~))

Jilly Goulden
Kay

This thread is going totally OT, unless she's started to do gardening
programmes!
Have not (thank G..) seen her on TV for ages :~)
Jenny

Old 30-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , JennyC

writes

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
?????
Dilly what's her name, that awful wine tasting woman
on TV once did a wine sampling and commented "Drink this and

you can
smell the wind blowing off the Urals" A sketch parodying her

turned
it into the wind blowing off the urinals.
-- Martin

Thanks :~))

Jilly Goulden
Kay

This thread is going totally OT, unless she's started to do

gardening
programmes!
Have not (thank G..) seen her on TV for ages :~)

Be thankful for small mercies.

Franz

Old 30-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
?????
Dilly what's her name, that awful wine tasting woman
on TV once did a wine sampling and commented "Drink this and you can
smell the wind blowing off the Urals" A sketch parodying her turned
it into the wind blowing off the urinals.
-- Martin

Thanks :~))

This thread is going totally OT, unless she's started to do gardening
programmes!
Have not (thank G..) seen her on TV for ages :~)

She's spread to holiday programmes ... won't be long till she does
gardening ;-)
--
Kay

Your winter colour suggestions skybluecat United Kingdom 0 27-11-2006 04:59 PM
Winter Colour skybluecat United Kingdom 4 25-11-2006 09:59 AM
Winter colour David United Kingdom 5 14-10-2004 07:24 PM
Restore colour to wooden deck Stephen Oakes Australia 6 07-02-2004 06:17 AM
Winter colour Stephen Howard United Kingdom 0 05-12-2002 09:47 AM