GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Late apples (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85282-late-apples.html)

Janet Galpin 20-10-2004 09:47 PM

Late apples

I would like to plant one or two late apples this autumn which would
keep as long in store as possible.
D'Arcy Spice seems by all accounts to keep until May which must be as
late as any, but apparently needs a good summer and warmth. I wondered
whether anyone has experience of growing it, how far north will suit it
and whether it really does keep until May.
Claygate Pearmain and Rosemary Russet also appeal, though not apparently
quite such long keepers. Any good or bad experiences of them?
Janet

Edwin Spector 21-10-2004 01:56 PM

At an Apple Day last weekend, I got Winter Gem recommended as an excellent
keeper. I liked the apple - quite rich and firm. That was at Highfield
Nurseries, Whitminster, Glos. (No interest to declare). I may even fork out the
dosh for one.

Edwin
Bath.

Janet Galpin 21-10-2004 05:45 PM

The message
from Edwin Spector contains these words:

At an Apple Day last weekend, I got Winter Gem recommended as an excellent
keeper. I liked the apple - quite rich and firm. That was at Highfield
Nurseries, Whitminster, Glos. (No interest to declare). I may even
fork out the
dosh for one.

Edwin
Bath.

Thanks for this Edwin. I have actually got Winter Gem, although it
hasn't fruited yet, so I can't comment on whether it lives up to its
billing. Another late keeper I have is Tydeman's Late Orange which had
one apple this year!

Janet G

J Jackson 25-10-2004 12:13 PM

Janet Galpin wrote:
: The message
: from Edwin Spector contains these words:

: At an Apple Day last weekend, I got Winter Gem recommended as an excellent
: keeper. I liked the apple - quite rich and firm. That was at Highfield
: Nurseries, Whitminster, Glos. (No interest to declare). I may even
: fork out the
: dosh for one.

: Edwin
: Bath.
: Thanks for this Edwin. I have actually got Winter Gem, although it
: hasn't fruited yet, so I can't comment on whether it lives up to its
: billing. Another late keeper I have is Tydeman's Late Orange which had
: one apple this year!

Another good keeper is Ashmead's Kernel. A semi-russet. Again needs a good
summer to fully ripen and it easily becomes bienniel. Lovely apple when in
good condition. Not sure if it keeps long enough for you - april easily.

Jim

Janet Galpin 26-10-2004 01:44 PM

The message
from J Jackson contains these words:

Janet Galpin wrote:
[...]

April seems good. I'm not convinced that there *are* any apples which
keep later than April, which is why I was interested in the reference I
saw to D'Arcy Spice keeping until May. No-one has come up with
experience of this though, so it may be either that it doesn't keep till
May or that it's not a good apple in other ways.
Janet G