Old 16-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Charlieb

Default electric shock from my strimmer

Hi everyone

Well I bought a second hand petrol kawasaki brushcutter/strimmer this summer
and it was being a bit temperamental yesterday.

While it was still running i tried to make sure the spark plug cap was
securely on and, you guessed it, I got a nice electric shock! Ouch

Anyway I wondered if this was a problem with the machine or whether it was
simply a very stupid part to go near whilst running.

I carried on cutting and then I started to get small electric shocks
through the right hand rubber handle (on the bull bar things), and I can
only assume it was on that side because the engine cutoff swithch (and
therefore electrics) is on that side.

Conclusion - there is clearly something wrong/shorting/etc but I have no
idea how the electrics/mechanics of these machines work (though I'm guessing
they must be pretty simple).

Can anyone enlighten me on how to fix this problem.

Thanks

Charlie

PS I don't know if it is related but it did seem to tend to cut out after
starting the moment I gave it any revs

Old 16-10-2002, 09:42 AM
richard smith

"Charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Charlie

sounds like damp in the electrics a few squirts of WD 40 or similar product
should do the trick in the short term.I think as the machine is s'hand
getting it serviced would be a good idea,any faulty cables/wires will be
replaced.

richard

Old 16-10-2002, 10:48 AM
Charlieb

Thanks Richard, that is highly likely as I was using it in the driving rain!
Service also sounds like a good idea, though it was sold to me by someone
who repairs/reconditions them and sells them on - unfortunately I have moved
to another part of the country since then.

Charlie

Old 17-10-2002, 12:31 AM
William Tasso

"Charlieb" wrote:
Thanks Richard, that is highly likely as I was using it in the driving

rain!

Don't do that - it almost certainly has this advice in the operating manual.

--
William Tasso - http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 17-10-2002, 12:05 PM
Simon Avery

"Charlieb" wrote:

Hello Charlieb

C While it was still running i tried to make sure the spark
C plug cap was securely on and, you guessed it, I got a nice
C electric shock! Ouch

Hurts, don't it?

C Anyway I wondered if this was a problem with the machine or
C whether it was simply a very stupid part to go near whilst
C running.

The latter. The fact it's running means it's working ok. You can get
replacement caps that help, but IME no rubber cap will stop the shock.

Just don't touch it while the thing is running....

C I carried on cutting and then I started to get small
C electric shocks through the right hand rubber handle (on the
C bull bar things), and I can only assume it was on that side
C because the engine cutoff swithch (and therefore electrics)
C is on that side.

That could be a fault of the power circuit. Unlikely to be connected
to the above as if the plug was shorting out, it wouldn't work or
would miss appallingly.

C Conclusion - there is clearly something wrong/shorting/etc
C but I have no idea how the electrics/mechanics of these
C machines work (though I'm guessing they must be pretty
C simple).
C Can anyone enlighten me on how to fix this problem.

Check wires. Chances are one of them has had the insulated melted near
to the cooling fins of the pot, or has rubbed/shorted elsewhere.
Buggers to replace though, as they normally run from the sealed
generator. Easiest solution is decent insulation tape.

C PS I don't know if it is related but it did seem to tend to
C cut out after starting the moment I gave it any revs

Could be, could be... But could equally be a fuel problem.

Old 17-10-2002, 12:12 PM
Simon Avery

"William Tasso" wrote:

Hello William

Thanks Richard, that is highly likely as I was using it in
the driving rain

WT Don't do that - it almost certainly has this advice in the
WT operating manual.

Many of the newer strimmers have the engine encased in plastic (Husqy,
Jonsered, some Echos I think) and are quite happy running in the rain.

Come to think of it though, I've used all sorts in all weathers, even
back to a heavy four-stroke strimmer with pivoted engine. Never had
any problems with 'em, apart from rust.

Might be a problem with some designs if the air inlet is particularly
exposed, but it's a little-known fact that engines run better when
there is a high moisture content in the air.

Old 17-10-2002, 01:31 PM
Drakanthus

Might be a problem with some designs if the air inlet is particularly
exposed, but it's a little-known fact that engines run better when
there is a high moisture content in the air.

Many years ago, my father used to say that car engines ran better on a foggy
day for that reason.
Apparently experiments were done at the time injecting water vapour into the
fuel / air mix but never led to a reliable commercial product (as far as I'm
aware) - probably rusted the engine!

Drakanthus.