GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cuttings from blackberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85382-cuttings-blackberries.html)

jon 23-10-2004 03:35 AM

Cuttings from blackberries

Could some knowledge person tell me how to take and successfully root
cuttings taken from b lackberry bushes. I really need detailed
instructions, please.
TIA.

Jon

---

Martin Sykes 23-10-2004 08:38 AM

"jon" wrote in message
Could some knowledge person tell me how to take and successfully root
cuttings taken from b lackberry bushes. I really need detailed
instructions, please.
TIA.

Jon

take the thorns off and cut into pieces about as thick as a pencil and at
least a foot long. Remember which end is the top!. Push into a sandy compost
and keep moist.

PS. It's easier to get new plants by bending a stem from an existing plant
and burying the tip. It'll root very easily and create a new plant.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Franz Heymann 23-10-2004 09:03 AM

"jon" wrote in message
Could some knowledge person tell me how to take and successfully

root
cuttings taken from b lackberry bushes. I really need detailed
instructions, please.

Don't take a cutting. Just bend over a healthy long shoot and bury
its tip an inch or two into the soil. Anchor it in place with a stout
wire hook or something similar.

Franz

Charlie Pridham 23-10-2004 09:47 AM

"jon" wrote in message
Could some knowledge person tell me how to take and successfully root
cuttings taken from b lackberry bushes. I really need detailed
instructions, please.
TIA.

Jon

If you really mean Blackberry as in brambles then you peg the shoot tips to
the ground, it will soon root.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk