GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fuscias in a North facing window trough - winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85390-fuscias-north-facing-window-trough-winter.html)

David WE Roberts 23-10-2004 12:41 PM

Fuscias in a North facing window trough - winter

Hi,

we have a relatively shallow wall mounted trough under the kitchen window
which is sheltered by an upstairs bay window.

It is very sheltered from rain and so needs regular watering during the
summer.

It currently has a variety of Fuscias in it, but this may not be the best
place to overwinter them.

They are still leaved and some are still flowering.

I think it might be better to overwinter then in the South facing
back garden, in a large pot or in a border.

More soil would protect the roots from frost, and the plants from drought.

I could then transfer them back into the trough for next spring.

Does this sound like a sensible plan, or are they likely to be all right
where they are?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. suggestions for something decorative to put in the trough over winter?

Bevan Price 23-10-2004 06:24 PM

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Bulbs - crocus, snowdrop, low-height tulips, daffodils, etc ?
Are your fuchsia the hardy type, or the non-hardy, houseplant type - if the
latter, any hard frost could kill them if left outside.
The hardy type should survive, but remember to prune them next spring.

Bevan