Old 17-10-2002, 03:37 PM
John Towill

Default Planting near septic tank soakaway

I've asked this question on uk.diy as well, as I'm not certain of the best
venue. My septic tank soakaway runs diagonally across my garden, will it
adversely affect its function if I plant trees/shrubs near or over?
I suspect that the roots, seeking out water, will penetrate it, but bearing
in mind that they will utilise a lot of the water would it do any harm?
TIA
John T

Old 17-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Victoria Clare

"John Towill" wrote in
:

I've asked this question on uk.diy as well, as I'm not certain of the
best venue. My septic tank soakaway runs diagonally across my garden,
will it adversely affect its function if I plant trees/shrubs near or
over? I suspect that the roots, seeking out water, will penetrate it,
but bearing in mind that they will utilise a lot of the water would it
do any harm? TIA
John T

Our septic tank and soakaway was overplanted with all sorts of things,
including a large yew tree. Never did it any harm. Plant away, say I
(though perhaps not fruit trees. Dunno why, just... I don't think you'd
look at them in quite the same way...)

Victoria Clare
--
Victoria Clare
gardening high up in South East Cornwall
Old 17-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , John Towill
writes
I've asked this question on uk.diy as well, as I'm not certain of the best
venue. My septic tank soakaway runs diagonally across my garden, will it
adversely affect its function if I plant trees/shrubs near or over?
I suspect that the roots, seeking out water, will penetrate it, but bearing
in mind that they will utilise a lot of the water would it do any harm?

The only problem I see with planting anything 'big' over your soakaway
is that the roots will 'seek' the moisture and damage it (
A birch tree had practically blocked one of our septic tank pipes with
masses of fibrous roots (

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 17-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Jane Ransom writes:
| In article , John Towill
| writes
| I've asked this question on uk.diy as well, as I'm not certain of the best
| venue. My septic tank soakaway runs diagonally across my garden, will it
| adversely affect its function if I plant trees/shrubs near or over?
| I suspect that the roots, seeking out water, will penetrate it, but bearing
| in mind that they will utilise a lot of the water would it do any harm?
|
| The only problem I see with planting anything 'big' over your soakaway
| is that the roots will 'seek' the moisture and damage it (
| A birch tree had practically blocked one of our septic tank pipes with
| masses of fibrous roots (

Yes. Planting a willow well downstream will make it grow very
well, and it may help to dry up the soakaway. Plant it where
it will block things, and it will do just that.

Birch and willow are the two worst that I know of. Few other
trees 'seek' as energetically.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Old 20-10-2002, 04:31 PM
Simon Avery

"John Towill" wrote:

Hello John

JT I've asked this question on uk.diy as well, as I'm not
JT certain of the best venue. My septic tank soakaway runs
JT diagonally across my garden, will it adversely affect its
JT function if I plant trees/shrubs near or over? I suspect
JT that the roots, seeking out water, will penetrate it, but
JT bearing in mind that they will utilise a lot of the water
JT would it do any harm? TIA John T

Generally a bad idea, and if you've ever had to unblock a drainfield
you'll know why. It's a horrible and potentially very expensive job.
The roots will get into the pipes via leaks (which is what a
drainfield is, a big leaky pipe system), expand and clog everything
up.

Grass is about as deep-rooted as I want near my drainfield.

Old 14-04-2010, 06:21 PM
WTE WTE is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Towill View Post
. My septic tank soakaway runs diagonally across my garden, will it
adversely affect its function if I plant trees/shrubs near or over?
I suspect that the roots, seeking out water, will penetrate it, but bearing
in mind that they will utilise a lot of the water would it do any harm?
TIA
John T
Do NOT plant trees or shrubs anywhere near your soakaway.
In our business (sewage consultancy) I have seen soakaway pipes completely blocked solid within a couple of years with tree and shrub roots. Once this happens, the entire system backs-up and you have to install a new soakaway - a VERY expensive game!
Please see Septic Tank Systems - Soakaways - What to Plant for details of the plants suitable for soakaway planting and those that are not. Shrubs and trees definitely fall into the second category - see the photo - the roots completely blocked the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Planting near septic tank soakaway-roots-block-drain.jpg