Old 24-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Lee and Kath

Default GQT. Cherry tree recommendation?

Hi everyone.
A couple of weeks ago I heard one of the Gardener's QT panel recommend a cherry tree which is a good
all year round plant, especially good for autumn colour. I forget which it is and can't find
anything on the web site. Does anyone remember, please?

Kath
Old 25-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Spider

Lee and Kath wrote in message
Hi everyone.
A couple of weeks ago I heard one of the Gardener's QT panel recommend a

cherry tree which is a good
all year round plant, especially good for autumn colour. I forget which it

is and can't find
anything on the web site. Does anyone remember, please?

Kath

Hi Kath,

I don't recall the tree mentioned on GQT, but Prunus Sargentii is famous for
its brilliant autumn leaf colour. The flowers are single, pink and emerge
roughly late April/early May. Young leaves are bronzy red.

Of course, the autumn colour referred to may have been flower colour, rather
than leaf colour. In this case the tree is likely to be Prunus subhirtella
'Autmnalis', which has semi-double white flowers produced between November
and March (usually in milder winter spells). The form P.s.'A' rosea has
semi-double pink flowers.

Hope this helps.
Spider

Old 25-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Richard Lucas

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:22:55 +0100, Spider wrote:

Lee and Kath wrote in message
Hi everyone.
A couple of weeks ago I heard one of the Gardener's QT panel recommend a

cherry tree which is a good
all year round plant, especially good for autumn colour. I forget which it

is and can't find
anything on the web site. Does anyone remember, please?

Kath

Hi Kath,

I don't recall the tree mentioned on GQT, but Prunus Sargentii is famous for
its brilliant autumn leaf colour. The flowers are single, pink and emerge
roughly late April/early May. Young leaves are bronzy red.

Prunus hillierii is another good one for autumn leaf colour, the variety
"Spire" is nice and upright , and doesn't take much space in a small
garden. Both have lots of pale pink flowers in the spring.
--
Best Regards

Richard
Old 31-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Lee and Kath

Thank you for your suggestions on this. 'Hillerii' seems to ring a bell. The info was it provided
all year round interest and is compact.

Kath

Easter Sunday's GQT Sacha United Kingdom 0 12-04-2006 07:36 PM
GQT Microsoft News Server United Kingdom 5 03-03-2006 09:29 PM
GQT giggles Mike Lyle United Kingdom 1 27-03-2005 06:33 PM
GQT/Jenny? Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 10-04-2004 09:07 PM
GQT plant of the week for 29p Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 08:45 PM