Old 17-10-2002, 08:13 PM
terry.rigby

Default alpine plants/winter care

Hi,

I am a first time visitor to the newsgroup, I need advice on winter care for
alpines, particularly-

Sedum General, Armeria 'Maritima' Splendens & Drosanthemum Hispidum

Hope the spellings are correct, many thanks in anticipation !

Terry.

Old 17-10-2002, 08:32 PM
M K Rogerson

"terry.rigby" wrote in message
Hi,

I am a first time visitor to the newsgroup, I need advice on winter care

for
alpines, particularly-

Sedum General, Armeria 'Maritima' Splendens & Drosanthemum Hispidum

Hope the spellings are correct, many thanks in anticipation !

Terry.

The Armeria will take almost anything the winter can throw at it so don't
worry about that one. For Sedums it depends on which sedums you have. Most
of the very small leafed ones will take the winter in their stride except
things like Sedum humifusum and 'Little Gem' which really need a cold
greenhouse as they can take any amount of cold as long as they are bone dry,
there are other Sedums which are dubiously hardy and would be better in a
heated greenhouse or a conservatory.

The Drosanthemum doesn't really qualify as an Alpine as it is decidedly
tender and certainly won't survive the Winter outdoors.

Hope that helps

Martin R