Old 24-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Seb

Default edible gourds/squashes

Cucurbit enthusiasts out there?
Does anyone have an idea if those decorative gourds that look like warty
little pumpkins/squashes/zucchinis are edible? I got a whole basket as a
gift, and being a fan of pumpking I'd be delighted if I can eat them.
One of them is actually not so small, flat 10" diameter, and is like a
pumpkin with a warty rind.

Seb
Old 25-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Seb

Seb wrote:

Cucurbit enthusiasts out there?
Does anyone have an idea if those decorative gourds that look like warty
little pumpkins/squashes/zucchinis are edible? I got a whole basket as a
gift, and being a fan of pumpking I'd be delighted if I can eat them.
One of them is actually not so small, flat 10" diameter, and is like a
pumpkin with a warty rind.

Seb

One more question: how do you save the seeds to grow gourds of your own?

Seb
Old 26-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Seb wrote:

One more question: how do you save the seeds to grow gourds of your own?

Don't throw them away?

Seriously. Provided that you don't actually let the gourd rot, you
can take them out or leave them in, clean them or not, or whatever.
They are adapted for passing through a mammal's gut intact, and are
very tough. They will keep for a few years in a cool, dry place.

Naturally, cooking a gourd and THEN saving the seeds is likely to be
ineffective :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Seb

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Seb wrote:

One more question: how do you save the seeds to grow gourds of your own?

Don't throw them away?

Seriously. Provided that you don't actually let the gourd rot, you
can take them out or leave them in, clean them or not, or whatever.
They are adapted for passing through a mammal's gut intact, and are
very tough. They will keep for a few years in a cool, dry place.

Naturally, cooking a gourd and THEN saving the seeds is likely to be
ineffective :-)

I'm a newbie but... not quite this new
I assume then that the seeds don't need a soak before planting?

Seb
Old 27-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Seb wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

I assume then that the seeds don't need a soak before planting?

I soak them, but you don't need to. It is WELL worth starting them
indoors or under glass, as they are prone to rotting if the weather
turns cold immediately after they have germinated. And, as you
don't need many, it isn't a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.