Old 18-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Hey man, blue grass - advice?

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Lynda Thornton wrote:
In article , Lynda Thornton
writes

I want to plant some blue-coloured grass/es along the back border and am
no expert on types, habits etc. My main concern is that I don't want
anything very invasive that will crowd out the other plants - does such
a grass exist? Also, as well as being well-behaved, the tougher, harder
and long-lasting the better, I realise they aren't evergreen though.

Actually, just searching on the web in the last few minutes, I've
discovered that some are evergreen - I hadn't realised that!

Festuca ovina "glauca". PRECISELY what you are asking for :-)

Be warned, it HATES waterlogging, and has suffered badly these past
few winters even in Cambridge and even in my 60% sand soil. It is
a drought lover, though not up to the standards of most cacti.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Ha ha - thanks Nick, you must be triumphant!

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely consider this

Lynda

Old 18-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Lynda Thornton wrote:
[...]

Hi Nick

Actually - one question - the area I'm thinking of, the bottom of the
garden, is actually rather shady. Will this grass find shady conditions
difficult or will it manage?

Lynda

Old 18-10-2002, 11:05 PM
JennyC

"Lynda Thornton" wrote
Nick Maclaren writes
Festuca ovina "glauca". PRECISELY what you are asking for :-)

Hi Nick

Actually - one question - the area I'm thinking of, the bottom of

the
garden, is actually rather shady. Will this grass find shady

conditions
difficult or will it manage?
Lynda

Sun , sun and more sun are whta it likes. All grey leaves plants love
sun......:~)
Jenny

Old 19-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JennyC wrote:

"Lynda Thornton" wrote
Nick Maclaren writes
Festuca ovina "glauca". PRECISELY what you are asking for :-)

Actually - one question - the area I'm thinking of, the bottom of

the
garden, is actually rather shady. Will this grass find shady

conditions
difficult or will it manage?

Sun , sun and more sun are whta it likes. All grey leaves plants love
sun......:~)

Unfortunately, yes. If grown in dry shade, it will live, but will
not colour up well - it goes greenish every winter.

The main exception to grey leaved plants needing sun that I know
of is Jackman's Blue rue. While it loves sun and drought, it will
survive in light shade.

Old 19-10-2002, 02:06 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
JennyC wrote:

"Lynda Thornton" wrote
Nick Maclaren writes
Festuca ovina "glauca". PRECISELY what you are asking for :-)

Actually - one question - the area I'm thinking of, the bottom of

the
garden, is actually rather shady. Will this grass find shady

conditions
difficult or will it manage?

Sun , sun and more sun are whta it likes. All grey leaves plants love
sun......:~)

Unfortunately, yes. If grown in dry shade, it will live, but will
not colour up well - it goes greenish every winter.

The main exception to grey leaved plants needing sun that I know
of is Jackman's Blue rue. While it loves sun and drought, it will
survive in light shade.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Oh, that's a shame, I just thought bluish grass would give a lovely
effect from a distance, but the area of the garden I want to plant with
it has a shed in one corner and a high fence, which create a lot of
shadow between them. I can't risk planting rue unfortunately, with
having a toddler so I'll have to have a rethink. Are there any other
blue-green plants I could consider, rather than grass? For instance,
juniper is very bluish green and doesn't mind shade (but I don't want
one there, just an example) - are there any herbaceous perennials which
have that kind of colouring, and maybe blue flowers?

Thanks

Lynda

Old 19-10-2002, 02:18 PM
JennyC

"Lynda Thornton" wrote
Nick Maclaren writes
JennyC wrote:
[...]

How about Cerinthe purpurescans ?
Blue/green foliage + Blueish/purple flowers.

I'll even send you some seed if you fancy it :~)
Jenny

Old 19-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lynda Thornton wrote:

Oh, that's a shame, I just thought bluish grass would give a lovely
effect from a distance, but the area of the garden I want to plant with
it has a shed in one corner and a high fence, which create a lot of
shadow between them. I can't risk planting rue unfortunately, with
having a toddler so I'll have to have a rethink. Are there any other
blue-green plants I could consider, rather than grass? For instance,
juniper is very bluish green and doesn't mind shade (but I don't want
one there, just an example) - are there any herbaceous perennials which
have that kind of colouring, and maybe blue flowers?

While juniper can handle shade, it doesn't like it. There are
certainly plenty of such plants with blue flowers - periwinkles,
ground ivy etc. I wouldn't panic over rue, but I agree that a
carpet of it is probably a bad idea.

Old 22-10-2002, 04:44 PM
JennyC

"Lynda Thornton" wrote
JennyC writes
"Lynda Thornton" wrote
Nick Maclaren writes
JennyC wrote:
blue-green plants

How about Cerinthe purpurescans ?
Blue/green foliage + Blueish/purple flowers.

I'll even send you some seed if you fancy it :~)
Jenny

Hi Jenny
Thanks for that very kind offer and it sounds a good plant (does it
tolerate shade well?) - is the seed large and does it germinate

easily?
Thanks - Lynda

Dead easy to grow :~)) Tolerates shade fairly well and self seeds all
over the garden :~)
I've masses of seeds if you'd like some,
Jenny

Old 22-10-2002, 05:22 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , JennyC
writes

"Lynda Thornton" wrote
JennyC writes
"Lynda Thornton" wrote
Nick Maclaren writes
JennyC wrote:
blue-green plants
How about Cerinthe purpurescans ?
Blue/green foliage + Blueish/purple flowers.

I'll even send you some seed if you fancy it :~)
Jenny

Hi Jenny
Thanks for that very kind offer and it sounds a good plant (does it
tolerate shade well?) - is the seed large and does it germinate

easily?
Thanks - Lynda

Dead easy to grow :~)) Tolerates shade fairly well and self seeds all
over the garden :~)
I've masses of seeds if you'd like some,
Jenny

Thanks Jenny - I'll try some, I'll email you separately re my address.

Thanks.

Lynda

In my garden July 27 Honeybee Airways 123, now arriving on the Blue Concourse (actually a Blue Butterfly delphinium.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 29-07-2009 05:00 PM
POE 2007 - Vanda Pakchong Blue 'Devera' - deep blue LARGE vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:19 AM
OT Hey, Chicken Man! JimS. Roses 1 30-07-2004 03:29 AM
planting blue rug juniper and blue star juniper sams Gardening 1 24-04-2004 01:02 PM
Blue Tomatoes/Blue tomatoe seeds old whats his name Edible Gardening 2 23-04-2003 06:32 AM