Old 19-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Steve Harris

Default Apple Tree selection

I'm wondering what sort of apple tree(s) to buy.

My garden in Gloucestershire has an 8' wall facing SW. It gets afternoon
sun. I like the idea of planting against it and perhaps pruning it to
keep it below the top.

I enjoy english grown Cox in season and occasionally find a nice acid
Granny Smith in Tesco. Spartan's are quite good.

A variety that would give me fruit when the shops only have insipid
imported apples would be excellent.

So the questions?

1. What variety should I get?
2. Best planting time?
3. Do I have to have at least 2 trees to make pollination work?

TIA!

Old 19-10-2002, 06:06 AM
Diane Epps

Have you thought of contacting Brogdale who hold the national collection and
might be of some help.
http://www.brogdale.org.uk/

Old 19-10-2002, 08:07 AM
anton

Steve Harris wrote in message ...
I'm wondering what sort of apple tree(s) to buy.

My garden in Gloucestershire has an 8' wall facing SW. It gets afternoon
sun. I like the idea of planting against it and perhaps pruning it to
keep it below the top.

I enjoy english grown Cox in season and occasionally find a nice acid
Granny Smith in Tesco. Spartan's are quite good.

A variety that would give me fruit when the shops only have insipid
imported apples would be excellent.

So the questions?

1. What variety should I get?

There are lots of apple days around the country going on
now. Find a local one and do some tasting- but be aware
that some apples are not yet in season, and some are already
finished. The people holding the apple day will probably
be very informative.

Here's my selection:
http://www.btinternet.com/~treesandfruit/

2. Best planting time?

Anytime when the leaves are off and the ground isn't frozen.
Buying bare-root trees will allow you a much wider choice than
pot-grown. Pot-grown trees can be planted all year round.

3. Do I have to have at least 2 trees to make pollination work?

Yes, unless one of your neighbours has apple trees flowering
at the right time. You can use a crab apple- and there are some
very small & very decorative ones- as a pollinator.

Plant Selection at Big Box Stores [email protected] Gardening 4 12-04-2009 09:20 PM
Tree selection Advice needed - please help TechJinx Gardening 0 23-03-2007 12:23 PM
Olive tree selection Pat Australia 1 27-11-2006 12:23 AM
Selection of fruit tree Mike United Kingdom 4 27-10-2005 07:49 PM
Tree Selection Wally Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:34 AM