GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Evening primrose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85567-evening-primrose.html)

John 26-10-2004 05:31 PM

Evening primrose

I've got some 4 foot tall evening primrose with thick woody stems. Will
they grow again next year? If so what do I do to them?
John

---

Martin Sykes 26-10-2004 07:03 PM

"John" wrote in message
I've got some 4 foot tall evening primrose with thick woody stems. Will
they grow again next year? If so what do I do to them?
John

They will grow *everywhere* next year. They seed like a weed.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Mike Lyle 26-10-2004 08:04 PM

Martin Sykes wrote:
"John" wrote in message
I've got some 4 foot tall evening primrose with thick woody stems.
Will they grow again next year? If so what do I do to them?
John

They will grow *everywhere* next year. They seed like a weed.

In my last garden, they grew only in stony paths and the parking bay.
I love them so much that I just let them rip; but when I came to
sell, the estate agent took a dim view. He was too polite to say "You
go to all that trouble to make five-foot-wide paths and then you let
weeds grow in them!", but I knew that was what he meant.

They're generally biennial, so this year's flowers will provide the
ones for the year after next. Your four-foot darlings are finished,
really: you can cut them down after flowering and seeding, and hope a
few shoots come up next year, but on the whole I'd pull them up and
rely on the seeds to do their thing.

Mike.