GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wood chippings etc (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85697-wood-chippings-etc.html)

andrewpreece 29-10-2004 01:49 AM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
Bob H writes:

Hi, we have just had a sycamore tree cut down, and the stump

ground
out? Anyway, this has left us a lot of sawdust/chippings/etc. I
wondered if it is any good for anything in the garden as a topping

in
the borders maybe, or just bin it?

Beware putting chippings near paths etc. The birds will toss it about
looking for
hoppers and other insects.

Andy

Bob H 29-10-2004 08:09 AM

Wood chippings etc

Hi, we have just had a sycamore tree cut down, and the stump ground out?
Anyway, this has left us a lot of sawdust/chippings/etc. I wondered if
it is any good for anything in the garden as a topping in the borders
maybe, or just bin it?

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

[email protected] 29-10-2004 06:58 PM

Bob H writes:

Hi, we have just had a sycamore tree cut down, and the stump ground
out? Anyway, this has left us a lot of sawdust/chippings/etc. I
wondered if it is any good for anything in the garden as a topping in
the borders maybe, or just bin it?

I helped a neighbour do the same in return for the firewood. The
chippings and shredded leaves and small branches got mixed with the
results from a couple of lawn mowings and spread over what is now a
much more useable bed on my side of the fence. The grass will make up
some of the loss of nitrogen as the woody bits rot down, and I've got
a nicely mulched bed ready for the spring. And enough firewood for the
winter!

Anthony

Bob H 29-10-2004 08:34 PM

wrote:
Bob H writes:

Hi, we have just had a sycamore tree cut down, and the stump ground
out? Anyway, this has left us a lot of sawdust/chippings/etc. I
wondered if it is any good for anything in the garden as a topping in
the borders maybe, or just bin it?

I helped a neighbour do the same in return for the firewood. The
chippings and shredded leaves and small branches got mixed with the
results from a couple of lawn mowings and spread over what is now a
much more useable bed on my side of the fence. The grass will make up
some of the loss of nitrogen as the woody bits rot down, and I've got
a nicely mulched bed ready for the spring. And enough firewood for the
winter!

Anthony

So I can use the sawdust/shreddings to use as a mulch? on my
flower/plant beds?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

[email protected] 29-10-2004 10:11 PM

Bob H writes:

wrote:

I helped a neighbour do the same in return for the firewood. The
chippings and shredded leaves and small branches got mixed with the
results from a couple of lawn mowings and spread over what is now a
much more useable bed on my side of the fence.

So I can use the sawdust/shreddings to use as a mulch? on my
flower/plant beds?

Leave it for a while first rather than using it very fresh, but
yes. Mine got spread immediately because I had the grass clippings and
there was nothing much growing there. Used raw it will soak up
nitrogen at first, but release it as it rots down.

Anthony

Franz Heymann 29-10-2004 10:30 PM

wrote in message ...
Bob H writes:

Hi, we have just had a sycamore tree cut down, and the stump

ground
out? Anyway, this has left us a lot of sawdust/chippings/etc. I
wondered if it is any good for anything in the garden as a topping

in
the borders maybe, or just bin it?

I helped a neighbour do the same in return for the firewood. The
chippings and shredded leaves and small branches got mixed with the
results from a couple of lawn mowings and spread over what is now a
much more useable bed on my side of the fence. The grass will make

up
some of the loss of nitrogen as the woody bits rot down,

How does the grass do that?

The easy way to avoid a nitrogen shortage while the chippings rot is
to be a little more generous with Growmore fertiliser on the areas
covered by the chippings.

and I've got
a nicely mulched bed ready for the spring. And enough firewood for

the
winter!

Franz

Nick Maclaren 30-10-2004 11:14 AM

In article ,
Bob H wrote:

So I can use the sawdust/shreddings to use as a mulch? on my
flower/plant beds?

Yes, indeed. Don't spread it too thickly in autumn to spring, as you
don't want to trap the humidity in and encourage botrytis. On (say)
a vegetable garden in winter, that doesn't matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob 30-10-2004 11:24 AM

wrote in message ...
Bob H writes:

Hi, we have just had a sycamore tree cut down, and the stump

ground
out? Anyway, this has left us a lot of sawdust/chippings/etc. I
wondered if it is any good for anything in the garden as a topping

in
the borders maybe, or just bin it?

Beware putting chippings near paths etc. The birds will toss it about
looking for
hoppers and other insects.

Andy

Ok thanks to all for clarification etc. I have about 6 bags of it with a
bit of soil included at present, but I'll let it rot first.
Errr, should I put it in the compost bin then for that?
Thanks

Bob H
Leeds UK