Old 20-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Muntjack Deer

In article ,
wrote:
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Yes. Breed lynx :-)

I suppose slow cooking with onions, garlic and red wine is right out?

You have a slight problem of killing them in that sort of dense
development, without getting more long pig than venison. Of course,
there are places where they don't worry about such minor details,
but in others the neighbours disapprove.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 20-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:12:11 +0100, "Dennis Simpson"
wrote:

Muntjack deer have a habit of wandering around our group of six retirement
bungalows and munching flowers in pots, particularly Pansies. Anybody know
of any easy "buzz-off" ideas?

A large dog off the leash and/or a shotgun discharged with
freedom and elan. Combine bans on hunting with effective dog
leash laws, and the deer run riot; at least, that's what's
happened *here*.

Gardeners on Vancouver Island, including many in surprisingly
densely built-up areas, are constantly trying to find ways of
thwarting deer -- and have been doing so for many, many years.
The problem of preventing deer damage is well-studied. One
solution is the erection of a deer fence -- a strong, tall
chainlink affair with special features to discourage both
leapings over and squirmings under. And even such a fence is of
no use if you leave the gate open!

Other methods include:

1. Planting only "deer-proof" plants.
2. Hanging tufts of human hair from fences, trees, and shrubs.
3. Hanging bars of "Zest" bathsoap about.
4. Sprinkling bloodmeal hither and thither.
5. Sprinkling fence posts and such with human urine.

I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of any of these. YMMV.

Your best bet may be to spring out of a shrub, slaughter Bambi
with a sharp knife, and have venison pie as a regular item in
your diet.

Good luck.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 20-10-2002, 08:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

Muntjack deer have a habit of wandering around our group of six retirement
bungalows and munching flowers in pots, particularly Pansies. Anybody know
of any easy "buzz-off" ideas?

A large dog off the leash and/or a shotgun discharged with
freedom and elan. Combine bans on hunting with effective dog
leash laws, and the deer run riot; at least, that's what's
happened *here*.

And here. But I want to object strongly to the above of shotguns
for such purposes on the grounds of cruelty. The fact that the
misbegotten politically correct idiots in this country support the
misgenated Powers That Be that want to disarm the peasantry is a
disgrace. The appropriate weapon is a 0.22 rifle, or even a long
barreled pistol firing a 0.22 magnum.

You need to be EXTREMELY careful using those in built-up areas,
but it is actually easier to use them safely in such conditions
than shotguns.

Of course, the ecologically correct solution is the reintroduction
of Eurasian lynx, which is where I came in. But the aforementioned
misbegotten and misgenated will have nothing to do with that ....

Old 20-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Essjay001

I used to fence off the flower beds and leave the gate open. MJD and
occaisionally Peacocks used to frequently my garden and gave the family a
lot of pleasure.

Stephen Jay

"Guns and bombs and flying machines are the tools of the war
Killing people wholesale is that what men are for.
Murder rape and pillaging armed robbery and cheats.
Laser guided missiles exploding with white heat."
"The Man" SJR

Dennis Simpson scribbled:

Muntjack deer have a habit of wandering around our group of six
retirement bungalows and munching flowers in pots, particularly
Pansies. Anybody know of any easy "buzz-off" ideas?
Thanks, Dennis

Old 20-10-2002, 09:08 PM
ned

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...

snip
Your best bet may be to spring out of a shrub, slaughter Bambi
with a sharp knife, and have venison pie as a regular item in
your diet.

'Careful. Male Bambi muntjac have very useful antlers and tusks - which I
wouldn't want to mess with!

Its funny, isn't it, having Bambi in the garden is 'awww some' - until it
eats the pansies. :-)

--
ned

Old 21-10-2002, 01:58 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 20 Oct 2002 19:14:52 GMT, (Nick Maclaren)
wrote:

wrote:

Muntjack deer have a habit of wandering around our group of six retirement
bungalows and munching flowers in pots, particularly Pansies. Anybody know
of any easy "buzz-off" ideas?

A large dog off the leash and/or a shotgun discharged with
freedom and elan. Combine bans on hunting with effective dog
leash laws, and the deer run riot; at least, that's what's
happened *here*.

And here. But I want to object strongly to the above of shotguns
for such purposes on the grounds of cruelty....

The appropriate weapon is a 0.22 rifle, or even a long
barreled pistol firing a 0.22 magnum.

I stand corrected. I don't think I've ever handled a firearm in
my life so one gun is indistinguishable from the next afaiac.

You need to be EXTREMELY careful using those in built-up areas,
but it is actually easier to use them safely in such conditions
than shotguns.

Of course, the ecologically correct solution is the reintroduction
of Eurasian lynx, which is where I came in. But the aforementioned
misbegotten and misgenated will have nothing to do with that ....

Believe it or not, they are actually reintroducing wolves into
parts of North America that have been wolf-less for a century or
more.

Can I ship you a few cougars as an alternative deer-control
predator? They seem to be having a minor population explosion of
their own, perhaps thanks to the introduction onto Vancouver
Island of rabbits and grey squirrels, both of which provide
medium-small mammalian prey for cougars. Aside from these two
introduced species, we have very few mammals in the same general
size range. Lots of mice and mouse-like critters, some tiny red
native squirrels (very shy and very territorial -- in 32 years
I've only seen one three times), beavers, and the nearly extinct
Vancouver Island marmot. And more raccoons than you can shake a
stick at. That's it afaik.

No moles, gophers, skunks, possums, or anything else along those
lines. There are advantages to living on an island that was
almost entirely glaciated during the last ice age.

Old 21-10-2002, 09:03 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:

Of course, the ecologically correct solution is the reintroduction
of Eurasian lynx, which is where I came in. But the aforementioned
misbegotten and misgenated will have nothing to do with that ....

Believe it or not, they are actually reintroducing wolves into
parts of North America that have been wolf-less for a century or
more.

Oh, yes, and they have their own problems with idiots, too.

Can I ship you a few cougars as an alternative deer-control
predator? They seem to be having a minor population explosion of
their own, perhaps thanks to the introduction onto Vancouver
Island of rabbits and grey squirrels, both of which provide
medium-small mammalian prey for cougars. ...

As far as I am concerned, the experiment would be well worth while.
However, the aforementioned UK idiots have made it illegal to
introduce predators but not herbivores. Seriously :-( If I thought
that unilateral action might work, I might not be dissuaded, but
it wouldn't.

Old 21-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Dave

Dennis Simpson writes
Muntjack deer have a habit of wandering around our group of six retirement
bungalows and munching flowers in pots, particularly Pansies. Anybody know
of any easy "buzz-off" ideas?

Muntjac and other deer are not too happy inside even normal suburban
height fenced areas where there is no easy escape, even though they can
jump quite high when they want to. Muntjac in particular tend to push
their way through gaps in the hedge, or open gates as already suggested.
We seem to be OK since I added a wire stock fence (squares of strong
wire, smaller at the bottom) inside the three rail fencing. But you have
to fence and wire all round the perimeter, however long, (as they will
wander in and across a paddock to get to your garden if necessary) and
cover all the gaps. I pushed and fixed sections of chicken wire into the
smaller gaps under the hedge.

You might also try pir lights which also stay on in twilight / early
morning.

Dogs would only provide protection if they were out in the garden at
night / in the twilight, every night.

--
David

Old 22-10-2002, 02:08 AM
Big Al

Nick Maclaren wrote on Mon 21 Oct 2002 09:03:03a :

As far as I am concerned, the experiment would be well worth while.
However, the aforementioned UK idiots have made it illegal to
introduce predators but not herbivores. Seriously :-( If I thought
that unilateral action might work, I might not be dissuaded, but
it wouldn't.

Actually Nick, AIUI, lynx are probably next on the list after beavers to
get reintroduced. But if you want to get some 'natural' predators for
muntjac, we ought to be introducing tigers and leopards into the Home
Counties.....

[although the reason we have Chinese muntjac and not Indian muntjac is
because some Indian muntjac allegedly killed a duke's dog, so he made
sure they were killed before they escaped....]
Old 22-10-2002, 10:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Big Al wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote on Mon 21 Oct 2002 09:03:03a :

As far as I am concerned, the experiment would be well worth while.
However, the aforementioned UK idiots have made it illegal to
introduce predators but not herbivores. Seriously :-( If I thought
that unilateral action might work, I might not be dissuaded, but
it wouldn't.

Actually Nick, AIUI, lynx are probably next on the list after beavers to
get reintroduced. But if you want to get some 'natural' predators for
muntjac, we ought to be introducing tigers and leopards into the Home
Counties.....

A good idea :-) However, you won't see lynx introduced into any part
of the UK where they are needed. No way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Muntjack Deer proof shade plants matt Neville Gardening 1 06-06-2007 12:45 PM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM
Deer damage especially severe JohnF North Carolina 1 30-03-2003 02:08 AM
AD: Versatile product for tightening fences, deer stand guide wires, grape vine trellis', etc - Jak C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 06-02-2003 01:35 AM
geranium macrorrhizum or pulmonaria in my deer-ridden, clay-filled backyard? Maggie Gardening 0 04-02-2003 03:37 PM