GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   collecting leaves from chipped slate (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85792-collecting-leaves-chipped-slate.html)

Diane Epps 30-10-2004 05:44 AM

collecting leaves from chipped slate

Does anyone have any bright ideas of how I can collect the leaves which have
fallen all over a large chipped slate area? Hand knees and elbow grease is
the method I have so far employed.

--
Never drive faster than your angel can fly

Franz Heymann 30-10-2004 07:45 AM

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have any bright ideas of how I can collect the leaves

which have
fallen all over a large chipped slate area? Hand knees and elbow

grease is
the method I have so far employed.

Try an electric garden blower/vac. It really does blow the leaves
into a corner where you can pick it up

Franz

Cerumen 30-10-2004 10:56 AM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have any bright ideas of how I can collect the leaves

which have
fallen all over a large chipped slate area? Hand knees and elbow

grease is
the method I have so far employed.

Try an electric garden blower/vac. It really does blow the leaves
into a corner where you can pick it up

Certainly the wind around here, particularly recently, has kept my
gravelled areas totally free of fallen leaves. I guess if the chipped
slate was very small maybe a vacuum would lift them as well?

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Franz Heymann 30-10-2004 02:11 PM

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have any bright ideas of how I can collect the

leaves
which have
fallen all over a large chipped slate area? Hand knees and

elbow
grease is
the method I have so far employed.

Try an electric garden blower/vac. It really does blow the leaves
into a corner where you can pick it up

Certainly the wind around here, particularly recently, has kept my
gravelled areas totally free of fallen leaves. I guess if the

chipped
slate was very small maybe a vacuum would lift them as well?

I suggested a blower action, not a vacuum action. Having said that, I
have a small spot covered with gravel pieces of approximately 1 cm in
dimension, and the vacuum has not sucked them up at all.

Franz

Borrop Little 31-10-2004 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane Epps
Does anyone have any bright ideas of how I can collect the leaves which have
fallen all over a large chipped slate area? Hand knees and elbow grease is
the method I have so far employed.

--
Never drive faster than your angel can fly

I've used a leaf vacuum on gravel - it's hopeless if the leaves are wet but Ok if dry, so long as you don't get too close.

Double Digger 31-10-2004 02:14 PM

I have had the same problem with ash keys and leaves falling on my chipped
slate path. After a great deal of back breaking work trying to pick both up
from the slate chippings, I finished up putting the lot in buckets of water.
The leaves and keys floated to the surface leaving the chipped slate
submerged. All I then had to do was skim all the vegetable matter from the
bucket putting the washed slate chippings back on the path. Still quite a
job, but at least I managed to save all the slate which is not cheap to buy
in my area.

D.D.
---
snip

Double Digger 02-11-2004 04:52 PM

Leaves, yes! Unfortunately not ash keys. They fell everywhere last autumn
and were a devil to collect. This summer I moved house so someone else has
the job. In his Guardian gardening column last weekend, Chris Lloyd said
that he *LIKES* ash trees. How can he? He obviously hadn't seen the four
monsters that shaded my old garden.
D.D.
---
"Janet Baraclough." replied:
snip
Why not rake them ? Use a long-tine springy rake (not the kind you use
for raking soil/beds).That's how we get leaves off (miles of) gravel
paths in a garden near here;