GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet Peas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/85793-sweet-peas.html)

Robert 30-10-2004 08:27 AM

Sweet Peas

The sweet peas are shooting for next summer's flowers. I still find it
amazing that such a delicate flower can begin in this inhospitable weather

Tim Lund 31-10-2004 11:06 AM

I've never tried growing sweet peas before, but this autumn I sowed some,
following instructions in a book about pinching them out and stopping the
main root when I transplanted them to 3 inch pots, ready for over wintering
(in an unheated greenhouse). But they are still growing too vigorously.
What should I do? Keep pinching them out, or risk them outside over winter?
The packet decribed them as 'Old Fashioned Mixed' - I live in London.

Tim

Tim Lund 31-10-2004 11:11 AM

I have some 'Old Fashioned Mixed' sweet peas that I sowed in an unheated
greenhouse in London this Autumn. Following a gardening book, I have
pinched them out and removed the tap root when repotting, with the idea of
over wintering and planting them out in spring. But they are shooting away
already. What should I do? Keep pinching them out? Risk them outside?

Tim

Robert 31-10-2004 08:24 PM

: ...

"Tim Lund" wrote in message
: I have some 'Old Fashioned Mixed' sweet peas that I sowed in an unheated
: greenhouse in London this Autumn. Following a gardening book, I have
: pinched them out and removed the tap root when repotting, with the idea of
: over wintering and planting them out in spring. But they are shooting
away
: already. What should I do? Keep pinching them out? Risk them outside?
:
I always bring mine on outdoors , otherwise they grow too fast and leggy.
The only time I bring them in is if the pots freeze through or the tops flap
about in a gale. I'm a bit surprised you've pinched yours out already, when
did you sow them? Also you must not remove the tap root, is this a leg pull
lol?