Old 31-10-2004, 04:09 PM
jane

Default Strelitzia regina again!

Hello folk

I thought I'd share some good news as there always seems to be
precious little about. A week ago, with fantastic timing, (it was the
day before I was getting married) I went to water the conservatory
plants and found that my 3.5 year old strelitzia regina (sowed May
2001) was growing two shoots, and only one was a new leaf...

My poor fiance wondered why on earth I was dancing about the lounge
yelling YES! at the top of my voice!

What a wedding present. I now look forward to seeing it flower - I
hope it will open before Christmas. It's been suffering dreadfully
with red spider mite this year and maybe it's the stress that's caused
it to flower so early. I don't care!

:-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 31-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"jane" wrote in message
Hello folk

I thought I'd share some good news as there always seems to be
precious little about. A week ago, with fantastic timing, (it was

the
day before I was getting married) I went to water the conservatory
plants and found that my 3.5 year old strelitzia regina (sowed May
2001) was growing two shoots, and only one was a new leaf...

My poor fiance wondered why on earth I was dancing about the lounge
yelling YES! at the top of my voice!

What a wedding present. I now look forward to seeing it flower - I
hope it will open before Christmas. It's been suffering dreadfully
with red spider mite this year and maybe it's the stress that's

caused
it to flower so early. I don't care!

Congratulations on the success with the strelitzia.
And may your marriage be a happy one.

Franz

Old 31-10-2004, 06:19 PM
jane

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:50:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~ Hello folk
~
[...]

Thankyou! It's taken 7 years to get him to the altar, so perhaps I
ought to have planted my bird of paradise when I first met him

Must pop a pic up somewhere when it flowers!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 31-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
jane wrote:
~
~ What a wedding present. I now look forward to seeing it flower - I
~ hope it will open before Christmas. It's been suffering dreadfully
~ with red spider mite this year and maybe it's the stress that's
~caused
~ it to flower so early. I don't care!
~
~Congratulations on the success with the strelitzia.
~And may your marriage be a happy one.

Thankyou! It's taken 7 years to get him to the altar, so perhaps I
ought to have planted my bird of paradise when I first met him

I strongly recommend spraying with soft soap - er, sorry, that's
the Strelitzia :-)

Congratulations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:41 AM
jane

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:19:48 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

~On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:50:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
~
~~
~~"jane" wrote in message
~~ Hello folk
~~
[...]

And it's open!!!!! Pic duly popped up, if anyone's interested. The
page has several photos, taken over the years as it grew. Sort-of baby
pictures for plants.

Not the best pics thanks to my camera battery choosing an inopportune
moment to die, but it's lovely. Looks like it has flames coming out of
the top!

It took 3.5 months from first noticing the spike to it opening, so
these things don't do anything fast!

http://www.moonbells.freeserve.co.uk...trelitzia.html

grin

--