Old 21-10-2002, 12:55 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Choosing an apple tree

I want to buy a couple of apple trees this autumn to add to the ones I
already have which are Ashmead's Kernel, Blenheim Orange, Bramley's
Seedling, Discovery, Fiesta, Greensleeves, Howgate Wonder, Jupiter,
Kidd's Orange Red and Winston.
I prefer something quite vigorous as i have space and at least one to be
late season for storing.

The ones I'd considered we Ribston Pippin, Sunset, Tydeman's Late
Orange, Pixie, Jonagold. Has anyone got any thoughts about any of these
for flavour and reliability? Or is there any other must-have type that
I'm missing?! Unfortunately, I can't get to an Apple Day anywhere.

Janet G

Old 21-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
I want to buy a couple of apple trees this autumn to add to the ones I
already have which are Ashmead's Kernel, Blenheim Orange, Bramley's
Seedling, Discovery, Fiesta, Greensleeves, Howgate Wonder, Jupiter,
Kidd's Orange Red and Winston.
I prefer something quite vigorous as i have space and at least one to be
late season for storing.

The ones I'd considered we Ribston Pippin, Sunset, Tydeman's Late
Orange, Pixie, Jonagold. Has anyone got any thoughts about any of these
for flavour and reliability? Or is there any other must-have type that
I'm missing?! Unfortunately, I can't get to an Apple Day anywhere.

Ribston Pippin and Tydeman's Late Orange are both very tasty apples.

Alan

Janet G

Old 22-10-2002, 12:33 AM
Sue

"Alan Holmes" wrote
"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote
I want to buy a couple of apple trees this autumn to add to the ones I
already have

snip

Ribston Pippin and Tydeman's Late Orange are both very tasty apples.

And so is 'Charles Ross'. Was given some from my Dad's tree the other day
and they're delicious. Lovely big apples, always seem to be scab free and
will cook well too, I believe.

Sue

Old 22-10-2002, 12:39 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

--

Thanks.They're certainly two which appeal. I'm also trying not to be
influenced by names, but they both have irresistible names!

Old 22-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Rod

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
The message

Ribston Pippin and Tydeman's Late Orange are both very tasty apples.

Alan
--

Thanks.They're certainly two which appeal. I'm also trying not to be
influenced by names, but they both have irresistible names!
Janet G

Ribston doesn't store well and they all ripen together and drop off the tree
about 30 seconds after getting ripe but at the moment of ripeness it's a
beautiful apple.
Tydemans Late Orange is good flavour and best keeper I know - even when it's
a bit shrivelled in February it still tastes good and the texture is ok, the
bad news is it tends to make lots of small apples. It might do better in
that department if it's grown in a restricted form on semi-dwarfing stocks.
Our favourite late apple.
Winston and Sunset are two of the best of the older 'Cox like' apples and
better by far. Don't keep much after November though. For that matter Cox
doesn't keep too well either though shops and buyers don't seem to be aware
of that when they get those poor overpriced 'Cox's' at Christmas. Can't
speak for newer apples I've not grown them.

Rod

Old 23-10-2002, 04:10 PM
J Jackson

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:
: from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

: Ribston Pippin and Tydeman's Late Orange are both very tasty apples.

: Thanks.They're certainly two which appeal. I'm also trying not to be
: influenced by names, but they both have irresistible names!

I've heard that Ribston Pippin is very prone to water core?

Old 23-10-2002, 04:16 PM
J Jackson

Rod wrote:

: Winston and Sunset are two of the best of the older 'Cox like' apples and
: better by far.

I'd agree about Sunset. But describing Winston as Cox like doesn't
resonate with me! I think I have a Winston (on M25) - it was labelled as
that - and I've been disappointed with the fruit. Fruit are smallish, dark
red, ripen late, are good keepers and in my book are only edible in
jan/feb from store. But I wouldn't call the taste cox-like.

Old 24-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Graham Wells

J Jackson wrote in message ...
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:
: from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

: Ribston Pippin and Tydeman's Late Orange are both very tasty apples.

: Thanks.They're certainly two which appeal. I'm also trying not to be
: influenced by names, but they both have irresistible names!

I've heard that Ribston Pippin is very prone to water core?

Last year my apples- re Ribston Pippin- were mostly affected by this
complaint,but I took some to be examined at a local apple day, as at
that time I didn't know what it was or what the cause was.
The info given was that due to irregular watering-rainfall- the juice
in the apple turns to sugar.If you chew the affected area it is a very
sweet taste.This year following feeding etc very few had this
complaint? I quite like the sweet almost crystalised pieces of flesh.
My problem with the older apples is codling moth I have caught
hundreds using the traps sold but and many got through.
Old 24-10-2002, 06:36 PM
Serendipity

On 24 Oct 2002 09:52:15 -0700, (Graham Wells)
wrote:

J Jackson wrote in message ...
[...]

.................................................. .................................................. .....
Years ago I was told that the best answer to Codling Moth is
prevention. Those caught in phenemone traps have been on
the wing, whereas if you were to use tree bands, the initial phase
of the beastie - or is it the last - never get up the tree in the
first place. As the trees mature and the trunks thicken, a
preventative grease may be applied with a paintbrush.
Phenemone traps can then be used to kill off the odd one
that gets through the grease barrier.

I never get the problem at all (Smug, smug, smug} though
I do get troubled with leaf miner whatever I do to prevent
the pest. Also of course and inevitably they make their way
over to ornamental shrubs/trees.

John

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden AL_n United Kingdom 44 14-04-2012 01:49 PM
@ help -- assistance in choosing correct tree type toad United Kingdom 8 18-04-2004 02:23 AM
advice needed for choosing flowers for full sun garden Goose Gardening 7 22-06-2003 01:20 PM
Choosing trees Shelly Gardening 6 20-06-2003 03:56 PM
Help choosing commercial 48" walk-behind Roger Seymour Lawns 0 28-04-2003 11:20 AM