Old 21-10-2002, 08:18 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Which plant can stand aphid and can grow on a balcony?

"Marc W" wrote in
:

"Dwayne" wrote

Mix 4 or 5 drops of liquid dish soap with a liter of water and spray
that

on
the plants with aphids, both sides of the leaves. Then get a fan and
turn it on so it will blow on the plants. Aphids hate a breeze.
Good luck. Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, and thanks, but actually I have not expressed myself
correctly:

I do not like to spray anything twice a week, I am looking for a plant
that can grow there easely without much work. Since I am sure I will
forget to spray, soap or poison. Or fan.

I wonder if you could be forgetting to water and feed enough? Roses will
not normally be killed by aphids, and I've never seen them on strawberries
myself. But I do find that plants that are already under stress tend to
suffer much more from aphids.

Could I suggest that whatever you end up getting, you put it in a decent-
sized pot, perhaps one of those ones with a built-in reservoir in case you
miss watering from time to time?

What about a rosemary bush? Pretty tough and drought-tolerant and never
seen 'em get aphids... And perhaps a pot of a pretty ivy planted up with
some snowdrops, mini daffodils and chionodoxa?

Victoria Clare
Old 22-10-2002, 09:01 AM
Marc W

"Victoria Clare" wrote

What about a rosemary bush?

Can you give the latin name for that, then I can get the dutch name? Please?

Old 22-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Victoria Clare

"Marc W" wrote in
:

"Victoria Clare" wrote

What about a rosemary bush?

Can you give the latin name for that, then I can get the dutch name?
Please?

Ooo, erm, hopeless at latin names. Hang on, I'll ask Google. Aha!

Rosmarinus officinalis (should really have been able to remember that
one...)

The 'common' variety can get large-ish, so you might want to look out for
one of the smaller trailing varieties. I have a couple growing in those
blue egg-shaped pots you can get - they look great. But you should be able
to keep even the standard sort in a pot for many years before it starts
getting too big.

Oh, something else that is dead tough in pots is box (buxus microphylla or
buxus sempervirens) Snip into balls or pyramids and trim once or twice a
year. I bought a job lot of 10 plants, put them in one per pot, and they
really are very attractive in a formal sort of way.

Victoria Clare
Old 22-10-2002, 10:02 AM
Marc W

"Victoria Clare" wrote

thanks Vic, and you are also right about the watering, in the summer it can
get very hot on those bricks there and the plants die

[fyi, I broke 1 hand so typing short sentences...]

Old 22-10-2002, 04:15 PM
Marc W

"andyp" wrote

Lavendula, lavender. Smells nice, attracks butterflies and very hardy if
left unattended. Will enjoy hot dry conditions.

Is that a 'more years' plant?