Old 21-10-2002, 10:07 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

Default Herb usage?

On 23 Aug 2002 13:22:06 +0100, (Sharon Curtis)
wrote:

Thought I'd start a new topic, and I thought that this might
provide some food for thought (sorry!).

What herbs do you grow in your garden and what are your favourite
uses of them? (Culinary or otherwise)

We just bought a house this year with a largeish garden, so it's
pretty much all new to me. After having read too much Joanne Harris
this year on holiday I have big plans to produce vast quantities of
fruit and herbs, with of course no effort on my part.

Currently we're growing rosemary, which is doing marvellously and I've
used in stuffings, with lamb shanks, mint and red wine slow cooked,
and in a nice shaped bottle with bay (which we're also growing and is
doing well), white wine vinegar and black peppercorns. The purple
sage is blooming, and i've used that in a Delia Smith stuffing recipe
which is gorgeous. We've just planted raspberry and blackcurrant
bushes for next year (fingers crossed) and hopefully a bit of pruning
and clearing the ground around it will mean we'll get more than one
cherry on the existing miniature tree we found at the end of the
garden.

On the subject of fruit, does anyone know where we can obtain a family
apple tree (stock with different varieties grafted on it - well two
months ago I didn't know what it was!) with bramleys and granny smiths
on it? My partner had one in his old house and we'd like to buy one
for the new place, but internet searches and visits to garden centres
have so far proved fruitless... so to speak. Thanks in advance for
any advice.

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 23-10-2002, 08:56 PM
EM4RH382

Have you thought about planting lavender - can be used in cooking as
well? There are lots of different varieties which would suit almost
anywhere in the garden? Any decent garden centre should have information
about them.
Best wishes in your endeavours.

Old 24-10-2002, 10:09 PM
Kath Collman

In article , EM4RH382
writes
Have you thought about planting lavender - can be used in cooking as
well? There are lots of different varieties which would suit almost
anywhere in the garden? Any decent garden centre should have information
about them.
Best wishes in your endeavours.

Never come across lavender in a recipe... How do you use it?

Kath
--
Kath Collman (Remove spam trap to reply)
Old 25-10-2002, 05:48 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Kath Collman
writes
Never come across lavender in a recipe... How do you use it?

Dried or crystallised flowers of lavender, or its essential oil are
suggested for flavourings and garnishes in some old recipes.
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.
Old 28-10-2002, 02:41 PM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
Kath Collman wrote:
In article , EM4RH382
writes
Have you thought about planting lavender - can be used in cooking as
well? There are lots of different varieties which would suit almost
anywhere in the garden? Any decent garden centre should have information
about them.
Best wishes in your endeavours.

Never come across lavender in a recipe... How do you use it?

I've made lavender sorbet. It involves infusing the flowers in the
sugar syrup whilst being heated.

Sharon

Herb Sale At Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery mrchaos007 Texas 21 11-04-2005 08:07 PM
Compost Usage Jay Edible Gardening 18 27-06-2004 08:02 AM
phosphorous usage in Malvaceae Tanya Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
Airstone usage in planted tank? carmineventura Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM