Old 02-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Anti-Spam

Default Physalis

I've grow these successfully in a cold greenhouse for the first time
this year.

They are still flowering and the fruits are still setting, however with
the imminent arrival of night frosts I suspect everything will die soon.

As there are still a good number of large green "lanterns" on the plants
is there any way these can be ripened off the plant?

Thanks

Roger T

--
email r.tonkin@at@zetnet dot co dot uk
Old 03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Anthony Stokes

Interested by your posting on physalis, as I have a small physalis plant in
my garden (30km east of London) that has produced lots of orange berries /
fruits.

Although the lanterns and fruits look very similar to those in Sainsburys
imported from Colombia ~ the ones from my garden continue to taste rather
bitter even when fully ripe.

I guess you could pick a few green physalis and try same method as for green
tomatoes ?

Ant.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Martin Sykes

"Anti-Spam" wrote in message
.uk...
I've grow these successfully in a cold greenhouse for the first time
this year.

They are still flowering and the fruits are still setting, however with
the imminent arrival of night frosts I suspect everything will die soon.

As there are still a good number of large green "lanterns" on the plants
is there any way these can be ripened off the plant?

Thanks

Roger T

--
email r.tonkin@at@zetnet dot co dot uk

Most things seem to ripen quicker if you put them in a bowl with a banana
skin and cover. I know it works with tomatoes and is the reason you
shouldn't put bananas in the fruit bowl with your other fruit.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Victoria Clare

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
:

"Anti-Spam" wrote in message
.uk...
I've grow these successfully in a cold greenhouse for the first time
this year.

As there are still a good number of large green "lanterns" on the
plants is there any way these can be ripened off the plant?

Most things seem to ripen quicker if you put them in a bowl with a
banana skin and cover. I know it works with tomatoes and is the reason
you shouldn't put bananas in the fruit bowl with your other fruit.

Assuming it's physalis edulis, I'm about to try the same thing with mine.
I have previously just moved them indoors and left them in the kitchen, and
they were edible if not quite as sweet as the sun ripened ones.

Roger might be interested to know that these are perennial plants: the tops
will die off in an unheated greenhouse, but the roots survive and can live
to fruit again another year.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Physalis propagation shazzbat United Kingdom 1 14-11-2010 02:02 PM
Squashes, physalis, almond plants Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 12-06-2007 03:43 PM
Physalis Carol Hague United Kingdom 14 09-03-2007 12:26 AM
Cape Gooseberry/Physalis as a perennial sjstokes United Kingdom 3 06-09-2005 10:04 AM
Tomatillo (Physalis ixocarpa) verdict: worth considering Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 08-10-2003 09:10 AM