Old 03-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Robert Ainsley

Default Garden Watering Systems

Now its the end of the gardening season I have time to reflect on my
gardening year. Two things spring to mind Alliums & my new Garden
Watering System.

This is the first year I have introduced alliums into the garden and I
have been really impressed with the results. So much so that I have
been out and bought 50 allium gladiator bulbs.

But my new found love for Allium bulbs doesn't touch my addiction to
the new garden watering system I have installed. I have seen a number
of these watering systems in garden centers but had never got around
to buying one. But one night I decided to take a look on the web and
found a couple of sites to read through and then I was hooked. Ordered
the bits and then two days later I was out in the garden installing my
new systems.

I think I should have spent a little time planning before I went mad
installing it but I would only change a couple of things. I bought a
Hozelock kit which included a timer and loads of different drippers,
misters and bits so I could try things out. All I have to do now is
sit back and watch my garden water itself.

I managed to get a handy tip which was to use a piece of micro soaker
hose in a loop around plants in tubs. I started by using drippers but
this just watered the center of the tub. So by creating a loop of
micro soaker hose I can water a uniform area around the tub.

I found most of the info from hozelocks web site and then bought the
bits from a company called garden4less. The initial kit was great but
bought the soaker hose later after I found the drippers to be less the
adequate at watering very large pots.

I think I am going to do the greenhouse next.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]

Have you checked with you water company that you don't now need a licence
for the system? Last time I asked Thames Water they told me that a
hand-held hose was fine but that any sort of sprinkler, system or even the
regular "plonk in the middle of the lawn ones", required me to get a
licence.

This may depend on whether you are metered, or not (I'm not) but it's worth
checking in case you suddenly get a knock at the door one evening!

BTW, not long after I enquired, a Thames Water van appeared and sat in our
road most of one evening with no apparent activity. My suspicious mind did
wonder whether they were watching for unusual water flow. Not that they'd
have found any since my garden is "green" and if the plants can't survive on
the rain they get, then they don't!

Paul DS

Old 04-11-2004, 11:07 AM
PK

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...
[snip]
!

BTW, not long after I enquired, a Thames Water van appeared and sat in our
road most of one evening with no apparent activity. My suspicious mind
did
wonder whether they were watching for unusual water flow. Not that they'd
have found any since my garden is "green" and if the plants can't survive
on
the rain they get, then they don't!

i understand helicopter surveys are used to spot green gardens in a droght
with no licence.....

pk

Old 04-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Phil L

Paul D.Smith wrote:
:: [snip]
::
:: Have you checked with you water company that you don't now need a
:: licence for the system? Last time I asked Thames Water they told
:: me that a hand-held hose was fine but that any sort of sprinkler,
:: system or even the regular "plonk in the middle of the lawn ones",
:: required me to get a licence.
::
:: This may depend on whether you are metered, or not (I'm not) but
:: it's worth checking in case you suddenly get a knock at the door
:: one evening!
::
Highly unlikely!

:: BTW, not long after I enquired, a Thames Water van appeared and
:: sat in our road most of one evening with no apparent activity. My
:: suspicious mind did wonder whether they were watching for unusual
:: water flow. Not that they'd have found any since my garden is
:: "green" and if the plants can't survive on the rain they get, then
:: they don't!
::

They can't 'watch for unusual water flow'

Old 04-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Phil L

PK wrote:
:: "Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
:: . net...
::: [snip]
::: !
:::
::: BTW, not long after I enquired, a Thames Water van appeared and
::: sat in our road most of one evening with no apparent activity.
::: My suspicious mind did
::: wonder whether they were watching for unusual water flow. Not
::: that they'd have found any since my garden is "green" and if the
::: plants can't survive on
::: the rain they get, then they don't!
::
::
:: i understand helicopter surveys are used to spot green gardens in
:: a droght with no licence.....
::
Again highly unlikely - at over £500 per hour of whirlybird and pilot hire,
it's a waste of cash and for what? - OK so they spot a few green gardens and
have them checked upon? - they can't enter without a search warrant anyway
so it's little more than 'scare tactics' on their part...FWIW, if they
managed the water better in the first place, there would be no need for
hosepipe bans at all, millions of cubic metres are wasted every day through
leaks that they can't be bothered to fix.

Old 14-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Tim Tyler

PK wrote or quoted:
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message

BTW, not long after I enquired, a Thames Water van appeared and sat in our
road most of one evening with no apparent activity. My suspicious mind
did wonder whether they were watching for unusual water flow. Not
that they'd have found any since my garden is "green" and if the
plants can't survive on the rain they get, then they don't!

i understand helicopter surveys are used to spot green gardens in a droght
with no licence.....

....and they use special sensitive electronic equipment - that can sense
the chloryphyll vibrations from a van outside your front door ;-)
--
__________
Old 14-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:
PK wrote or quoted:
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message

BTW, not long after I enquired, a Thames Water van appeared and
sat in our
road most of one evening with no apparent activity. My suspicious mind
did wonder whether they were watching for unusual water flow. Not
that they'd have found any since my garden is "green" and if the
plants can't survive on the rain they get, then they don't!

i understand helicopter surveys are used to spot green gardens in a
droght
with no licence.....

....and they use special sensitive electronic equipment - that can sense
the chloryphyll vibrations from a van outside your front door ;-)

Do you need a licence for a droght?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

PK wrote or quoted:
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message

i understand helicopter surveys are used to spot green gardens in a
droght
with no licence.....

....and they use special sensitive electronic equipment - that can sense
the chloryphyll vibrations from a van outside your front door ;-)

Do you need a licence for a droght?

No but the Waterboards are all saying they cannot clean up the polluted
rivers unless they have more money ...

.... and they have to make it somehow. (g)

Jennifer