Old 22-10-2002, 10:25 AM
William Tasso

Default Life's a Beech

Hello to one 'n' all

Copper beech - Please tell me: is the hedge plant just a 'tree in waiting'
or are they different?

Further: Any info on how to propogate a copper beech tree would be most
helpful and gratefully received.

Thanks

--
William Tasso - http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 22-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "William Tasso" contains these words:

Hello to one 'n' all

Copper beech - Please tell me: is the hedge plant just a 'tree in waiting'
or are they different?

It's the same thing.

I've got a wonderful shapely fast growing dark copper beech about 12 ft
high after 5 years, bought as an 18" potted hedging plant for a couple
of pounds. They have a considerable variation in colouration so choose
one for its leaf colour and a sturdy well-balanced form. The main
"trunk" should not fork or have been cut at the top.

If you particularly want to propagate an existing tree, then try
sowing its seeds, now, lots in a pot.(That's the smooth triangular seed
the size of a little fingernail, inside the nubbly husk that looks like
a fairy hat). Leave them outdoors over winter, protected from mice. I
would not expect all the seedlings to match the parent in leaf colour.

Janet.

Bare root strawberries (shelf life, indoor life - to survive in thefrost, ready to plant outside)? gar_newbie Gardening 5 25-03-2009 09:20 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
beech cuttings possible? SusieThompson United Kingdom 2 02-06-2003 12:44 AM
will this beech tree survive alan kearn United Kingdom 1 05-03-2003 08:08 AM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM