Old 22-10-2002, 04:19 PM
JennyC

Default Alliplugs and bubble wrap

"Alison" o.uk wrote
in message ...
Ok, we now have a new aluminium greenhouse (timber before) and I

need to do
my annual wrapping of bubbles on it. I've seen these alliplug

things that
say they are for attaching stuff like bubblewrap, and I've also seen
alliplug spacers that keep the plastic an inch from the glass. Does

anyone
have any experience in this area? Are these spacer things

necessary? Will
the glass get horribly condensationised (is that a word???) if I

don't use
them perhaps? Will there be better insulation if I do use them?

This metal
world is all a bit new to me.
TIA

--A

I don't have spacers between my bubble wrap and the glass. I use they
clip things that go in the rails to keep the wrap in place. Works a
treat.

The levels of condensation seem minimal. Most of the things in the GH
over the winter are not very 'wet' so maybe it is a self sustaining
atmosphere.

Jenny

Old 22-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Alison" o.uk
contains these words:

Ok, we now have a new aluminium greenhouse (timber before) and I need to do
my annual wrapping of bubbles on it. I've seen these alliplug things that
say they are for attaching stuff like bubblewrap, and I've also seen
alliplug spacers that keep the plastic an inch from the glass. Does anyone
have any experience in this area? Are these spacer things necessary? Will
the glass get horribly condensationised (is that a word???) if I don't use
them perhaps? Will there be better insulation if I do use them? This metal
world is all a bit new to me.

TIA

--A

I have never bothered with the spacers and found Alliplugs OK on their
own. The bubble wrap tends to hang away from the glass, certainly on the
roof glass anyway.

There are, though, also some black fixers which I prefer which have a
spacer sort of built in. They just use a small plastic ring so they are
more long and thin rather than short and squat like Alliplugs. I'm
afraid I can't remember where they're sold though.

Janet G

Old 22-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Kay Easton

In article , JennyC
writes

I don't have spacers between my bubble wrap and the glass. I use they
clip things that go in the rails to keep the wrap in place. Works a
treat.

The levels of condensation seem minimal. Most of the things in the GH
over the winter are not very 'wet' so maybe it is a self sustaining
atmosphere.

the main problem with bubble wrap is that you probably want to remove it
for the summer and replace it next winter. I have canes suspended from
the roof of the greenhouse which means I can simply drape the bubble
wrap tent fashion over the canes - it takes about 10 mins to remove for
the summer and a little longer to put it back again for the winter.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Old 23-10-2002, 10:18 AM
Martin & Anna Sykes

I haven't tried insulating my greehouse, but if I would expect that the
spacers would improve insulation because the trapped air works as insulation
itself, much as the air in the bubble wrap does( up to a point ). If the gap
is too large, the trapped air will have room to circulate which ruins the
effect.

Personally, I'm going to avoid insulating the whole greehouse and instead
have got one of those small plastic 'greenhouses' which I'll put inside.
That should keep the tender stuff OK and the rest can take its chances.

Old 23-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Alison

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
Personally, I'm going to avoid insulating the whole greehouse and instead
have got one of those small plastic 'greenhouses' which I'll put inside.
That should keep the tender stuff OK and the rest can take its chances.

Yes I had one of those - a superduper one with a zip - until season two when
the zip decided to part company from the slightly hardened plastic :-( Now
it's useless except as extra staging. Occassionally it gets fleece draped
over it so I suppose it's not *entirely* useless. Better luck with yours -
if it has a zip then don't be as zealous as I was trying to ventilate etc
etc

--A